1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pop ups!!

Discussion in 'General Security' started by rinefitz, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rinefitz

rinefitz Thread Starter

Hi there,

I keep getting unwanted popups, I use norton and have a pop up blocker which in general works. Then I'll be viewing a webpage and it will suddenly change to a advertisement and little 'blank' boxes will pop up, and the webpage I was viewing has gone. Have no idea what it is or how it has got on to my pc. I have a hp on Windows Vista.

Any ideas, much appreciated its getting very annoying now! Thanks

2. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

Browse the web with mozilla firefox, after installation of it and starting it, if you don't see a red or gray icon with ABP in the upper right corner, just say it to me and i will give you a download link for istalling that add-on for mozilla, it is called Ad Block Plus, it's the best pop-up and adversting (sometimes built-in to mozilla automaticlly) blocker that I have ever seen. So here is the link for downloading Mozilla Firefox, a better, safer and faster internet browser:
    http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.0.3&os=win〈=en-US , if you dont' have the icon abp just say to me and i will give you a link to download it.

3. Pollex

Pollex

If you are using IE, you could try running with "No Add-On's". This is an option that you can select by doing so:
    Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
    If your problem stop's with just this, you should determine which add on is the cause, by re-enabling them one at a time.

If you are using Firefox:
    In Windows, click Start, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. In the Mozilla Firefox folder, select Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). There are options there for reseting/ and disabling your add-on's specifically.

I personally use Opera, and I don't get pop-up's... ever. I'm probably lucky.
    Whatever browser you choose is up to you. There are ways to fix em all.

Also, try running an AdAware, or Spybot - Search and Destroy to get rid of any extra unwanted material lingering on your computer. Running a good anti-virus is a great start, but having these extra programs, as well as running a firewall will help you to prevent further incidents from occuring.

4. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

It sounds like spyware so run Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG Free (IMO Norton sucks).

I would also recommend getting adblock plus, but if it's spyware that may not make a difference.

5. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

yes, but for further prevention, why not, it comes with mozilla, hey, I'm using it too, not spywares yet (maybe it's because of running ESET Smart Security and Keiro Personal Firewall 4) ;-P

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice