1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

POP3 and IMAP email accounts in MAIL

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by chartwise, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

Can someone please tell me how to set up multiple POP3 email accounts in Windows 8 mail?
    I actually need 2 accounts.

I used to use Outlook Express but as this is no longer available I am stuck.
    All I seem to be able to set up us Google and Hotmail Accounts.

All help much appreciated

2. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

My incoming email is currently through a POP3 server
    My outgoing email is an STMP server.

In Windows 7 I was using Outlook Express.
    Can anyone please tell me (in idiot terms) how to connect Windows 8 mail app to POP3 / STMP email?

I believe Win 8 also asks for a password. Is this the Windows 8 password or the password of my email account?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

I'll probably boot to Windows 8 later today or tomorrow, and will try to remember to take a look at that dumb App.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    While in Mail bring up the Charms bar - Settings - Accounts - Add an account - Other account - Pop - I stopped at this point. Did you get this far and the problem occurs later?

5. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

That's just what I encountered

6. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

Can anyone please tell me how to set up an IMAP email account in the Mail app?

When I go into add an account it seems to be set up for Hotmail, Google & Outlook accounts.
    When I go into Other Account I am completely stuck.
    I need this as I have my own email address.

Also when it asks for my email address and password. Does this mean my Windows 8 account password or my email account password.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I doubt that setting up POP and IMAP accounts are very different, so I merged your threads. And I will modify the thread title.

When you set up an account in an email client you give the address and the password (and the servers) for the account you are adding.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    POP accounts are not supported by the Mail App in Windows 8, only IMAP style accounts are so check to see if your ISP supports IMAP or switch to a different email service and link your existing POP account to it.

OR

Use a free email program that still supports POP accounts such as the free Windows Live Mail which is the successor to Outlook Express: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-live/essentials-other-programs

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Since you are setting up your email account it would be the email address and password of the account you are trying to setup.

10. chartwise

chartwise Thread Starter

Many Thanks Triple 6

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice