1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

popup killer?? any good ones?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Faithful one, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Faithful one

Faithful one Thread Starter

Any good trial popup killers I had adsgone 2004 and loved it but trial ran out..prob will buy it but just checking for ideas

2. emanon

emanon

I'm using Google's Toolbar. You can search from it and also stops pop-ups. I have used it for 4 months and it has stopped 1578 pop-ups. It counts them.. If you use google to search. Its a win-win program. And it's free!
    Opps heres the addy..
    http://toolbar.google.com/

3. TKL

TKL

I agree with emanon, can't beat google tool bar, and it's free !
    www.google.com

4. gaftop1

gaftop1

me too haven't seen a pop up since i installed it.. best one out there for free

5. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hi, If you don't want another toolbar on your desktop taking up space you should give POP THIS a try! Fantastic, and free (so far), and available at spychecker.com.(y)

6. raybro

raybro

Another approach is to run an alternate browser with a built in popup blocker. I've been using MyIE2 as my default browser for over 2 months and have yet to see a popup. I'v been online for about 1.5 hours this morning and the blocked ad counter is at 87. Works better than any stand alone popup killer I've tried and you don't have to mess with it. It runs quite well all by itself.

Additionally, MyIE2 has a number of other features that I really like. Tabbed web paging for one. It looks and operates much like IE with many more useful features. In fact, it runs on the IE shell without the bloat. Haven't had a browser "Illegal Operation" since I started using it. It free and you can get it here:

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

I recommend the "Lite" version. (y) :cool:

7. Faithful one

8. 2steps

2steps

I have the google toolbar as well but used the free pop up killer from painware before that with no problems

9. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    I use Smart Popup Killer. I've tried several before using this one and all the other ones would display the popup ad for a split second before stopping it. Smart Popup Killer will completely stop the popup ad and not display it for a split second. It also has a Cookie Manager so you can control which cookies you want to keep.

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10222419.html

10. Faithful one

I am having trouble with smart popup??? I installed then had to unistall...couldnt get it working??

faithful one

11. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

That almost sounds to good to be true. Are not those extra toolbars spyware? I have been using the freeware version from www.panicware.com no popups no spyware no extra junk on my browser.

12. joe2cool

joe2cool

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Any pop-up stoppers that will deal with the "floating over" java based ads? I don't want to disable java, since some sites require it for proper operation, but I'd like to kill those ads... :)

14. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    What exactly was the problem? When I first installed it I was looking for the Smart Popup Killer program in the startup menu and discovered it's not there. The program is launched only when you open Internet Explorer. When IE is open Smart Popup Killer will appear in the task bar as Blue "B" with a white background. Right click the "B" and the program menu will appear.

Hopes this helps you out.

:cool:

15. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Nope No way No how cant do it. Java script is a script within a script, its either on or off. pop up stoppers prevent another program from starting, but Java is based within the program already running, how do you stop someting thats already running? The technoligy would be detected as a virus........... things that make you go hhhhhmmmmm.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice