1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PopUps Don't Open

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MushMouse, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MushMouse

MushMouse Thread Starter

I was playing around with Norton Internet security this morning, I downloaded an update for Internet Explrer, & now certain popups that I need don't come up - just an empty window with something about Java on the bottom. Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. BillC

BillC

I'm thinking that your Java settings for IE could have changed because of your upgrade. Look in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom > for Java and make sure it is enabled.

My second thought is that you enabled pop-up blocking in your Norton firewall while, as you said, "playing around " with it. Or, you have blocked Java in the firewall.

3. MushMouse

MushMouse Thread Starter

I went into IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom > for Java and it had a high setting. I chnaged it to medium, but I still couldn't get the windows.
    I also checked the Norton firewall, & Java was enabled.
    Is there anything else I could try?

I've also been having weird things happen - icons on my desktop move to places I don't expect them, a button that says Micorsoft Explorer (yes, it's spelled MicORsoft when it appears here) keeps appearing in my taskbar. I keep closing it. Sometimes an icon appears on my desktop that I never even put there!

4. BillC

BillC

Hmmmm. Do you have pop-ups blocked in your firewall after "playing" with it? Did this behavior start only after updating your IE?

The icons changing and other weird things suggests a virus. I assume you have Norton antivirus? If so, make sure your definitions are up to date, and then do a scan. I'd also suggest an online scan at Pest Patrol's new scan site.. See if you find what is causing this behavior.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice