Popups

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tabvla

I am wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the following change in behaviour.

Since updating Firefox to v7 I have had a variety of similar POPUPS appearing quite frequently. Each POPUP is animated and is about 4cm square. The message on the POPUPS are all different but are also all similar - scam messages like "You have won an iPod", or "You are the lucky 100,000 visitor", or "You have won £100".

I am not so stupid that I would click on any of these, but I was stupid enough to try to get rid of the first one that appeared and clicked the X in the top right-hand corner - even the professionals sometimes get caught!!! Fortunately my Internet Security (Kaspersky 2012) took a triple fit and shut everything down with dire warnings of Armageddon scenarios.

These POPUPS appear at any time and irrespective on what I am doing online. The one time I was sourcing a car in Germany, the other time I was looking for a holiday house in South Africa.... and so on.

This is only happening on a Vista machine which is the only one running Firefox v7. I don't have this problem on any other computer that is not running Firefox v7.

Thanks for any feedback.

T.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Download, install and run the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Click Update > Check for Updates.

When the definition files have updated, click OK.

Click the Scanner tab > Perform quick scan > Scan.

If infections are found during the scan, the number of infections will be highlighted in red.

When the scan is finished, click Show Results.

Make sure that everything is selected, then click Remove Selected.

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click Yes.

Start Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again.

Click the Logs tab.

Highlight the scan log entry, then click Open.

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy and paste it into your next reply.

===================================================================
Download, install and run the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware.

Click Check for Updates.

When the definition files have updated, click Close.

Select Perform Quick Scan and clickon Scan your Computer.

If infections or problems are found during the scan, a list will appear.

When the scan is finished and the scan summary window appears, click OK.

Make sure that everything in the list is selected, then click Next.

If you're prompted to restart to finish the removal process, click Yes.

Start SUPERAntiSpyware again.

Click View Scan Logs.

Highlight the scan log entry, then click View Selected Log.

When the scan log appears in Notepad, copy and paste it into your next reply.

===================================================================

If no luck,

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.
2- Run the program.
3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.
4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.
5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply.
6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

For Windows 7 and Vista:

If Windows is denying access to the Hosts file, disable the UAC and run HijackThis again.

Update your anti-spyware program. If you do not currently have a spyware removal program, there are many free, highly regarded software downloads.

Disconnect your computer from the Internet. Even if you have Internet Explorer closed, as long as there is a connection available, the spyware may be connecting and causing damage. Unplug your computer from its modem or the modem from the wall.

Check your "Add/Remove Programs" list from the control panel. If you see a spyware program listed, uninstall it. If you see a program you are not familiar with but are unsure whether it is spyware, check it out before removing it.

Run your antispyware program. If you run it and are still receiving pop-ups, especially if you are still disconnected from the Internet, turn your computer off.

Start it again and press the F8 key repeatedly until you see the "Safe Mode" option. Run the antispyware program while your computer is in safe mode.

Revert your system to a date in time prior to the spyware infiltration. Go to the Start menu and point to "All Programs." Point to "Accessories" and then point to "System Tools." Click "System Restore" and follow the instructions on the "System Restore Wizard."

Tabvla

Hi Smartjenny

Thank you for your reply. I see that you are new to the TSG Forums. I am sure that you mean well and wish to be helpful and hopefully in time you will become a valued member of this Forum.

However, it is always useful if you actually read the Post carefully before responding. If you had you would have noticed that I use Kaspersky Internet Security as my security suite. Kaspersky is one of the top 3 security products in the world today and has succeeded in keeping my systems malware-free for years.

If is also worth considering, before replying to a Post, the experience level of the the person originating the Post. Giving "beginner-type" advice to an experienced user is not usually helpful.

T.

Tabvla

Hi Phantom

Thanks for your suggestions which are much appreciated.

I know HijackThis quite well and am capable of interpreting and taking any necessary action to a HijackThis Log File.

As you will have seen from my Post I use Kaspersky Internet Security. I have KIS set to automatically update every 3 hours and to do a System Scan, Rootkit Scan and Critical Areas Scan once every 24 hours. KIS is also set with the URL advisor active.

I have not used MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyware before and therefore have no knowledge of these products. Before I do as you suggest I would be interested to learn and understand what these two programs will be able to detect that would not be detected by Kaspersky Internet Security.

I would also like to understand what - if any - conflict there may be between either of these two programs and Kaspersky. Kaspersky does not tolerate other security software too well and I would not like to initiate a catestrophic clash between these programs.

What I believe is critical to this issue is Firefox 7. This issue started almost immediately after I updated from Firefox 6 to Firefox 7. On the same system I also run Internet Explorer 9. These POPUPS never appear when I access the Internet using IE, they only appear when I use Firefox version 7. In my view this is too much of a coincidence, there must be a connection between FF 7 and these POPUPS.

One might think "why not simply ignore the POPUPS?" The problem is that they drift around on the screen which of course impacts on what one is trying to do online. They eventually disappear but this takes about 5 minutes so that is also not an option. The only way that I have found to get rid of them is to close Firefox and start again. That is really annoying when you are in the middle of some search.

Thanks for your feedback.

T.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Firefox 7 is not the issue. There's nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't generate pop-ups. You clearly have malware installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online