1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port 23_Telnet_how to close it

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ubbenail, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubbenail

ubbenail Thread Starter

Hi folks, my problem is this, i´m worried about that when i test my firewall security online i get the answer that my port 23 used by Telnet is open and wulnerable, i use free version of Zone-alarm but i have tested with other free firewalls and i still get the same result when testing the firewall, i would be very glad if some one could give me tips about this issue, i paste a resent hijack so u can see what is running on my comp

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 23:24:47, on 2006-01-20
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program\TweakNow PowerPack\RAM_XP.exe
    C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program\Winamp\Winamp.exe
    C:\Program\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://pcforalla.idg.se/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RAM Idle Professional] C:\Program\TweakNow PowerPack\RAM_XP.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: CoreCenter.lnk = C:\Program\MSI\Core Center\CoreCenter.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: DigiCell.lnk = C:\Program\MSI\DigiCell\DigiCell.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java-konsol - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\Program\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\Program\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

2. williamorc

williamorc

isn't telenet an ISP? if it is then i don't think you should close it because thats how your internet is working.

3. TOGG

TOGG

I can't help with the HJT log but I do know that Telnet should not be enabled unless there is a very specific need for remote connections and, if that were the case, you would be advised to use a newer protocol called SSH.

I found this in a Windows Services Tweaks Guide;

"Telnet
    Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including UNIX-based and Windows-based computers.
    For XP Professional users only. This is best set to Disabled for security reasons. Only leave on Manual if you need to allow remote users to access telnet through your Command Prompt. Default: Manual"

Try going into XP Services and disabling Telnet. If it doesn't work you may have a serious problem and will need help from one of the HJT gurus.

4. TOGG

TOGG

I've just remembered a firewall check I did a few years ago which required me to enable telnet so that the scan could work properly. I got a clean bill of health and don't remember any comment about telnet in the report I got.

Presumably, you would have remembered if any of the test sites you used had needed telnet to be enabled?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!