1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port blocking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheCoyote776, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheCoyote776

TheCoyote776 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have several applications that are being blocked (AdCalls, VNC, some games, etc). I'm quite familiar with port forwarding and have done it several times before. However, since I've acquired my Qwest DSL service (modem M1000), I'm not able to use these applications. I've removed the router and connected directly to the modem with the same results. The port I last tested was 53030. I do not have a software firewall and I've disabled the Windows XP firewall. Additionally, I've configured open ports directly on the modem to no avail. I've even gone as far as temporarily disabling the NAT on my modem. Qwest of course said they don't block ports when I spoke to them. Can anyone think of anything I might have missed?

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Your firewall.

Odds are you subnet changed with the new service and you haven't updated the firewall settings.

You don't port forward for apps going out to the internet. You port forward to apps coming in.

3. TheCoyote776

TheCoyote776 Thread Starter

Which was my initial thought, but at this point I've removed all the firewalls; I don't use a software firewall, the Windows XP one is disabled (and is configured to allow the ports in any case), I've taken the router out of the equation and I've totally disabled the modem's firewall and NAT feature. Are there any other 'firewalls' that could be in the way?

The inbound ports are the ones I've configured; sorry if I didn't make that clear. For instance, for VNC, I have TCP port 5900 being routed to 192.168.x.3, which is the server computer. I also tried it with UDP only and TCP/UDP with the same results.

I'm losing my hair over this! :eek:

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

So you want to use VNC from the outside to access your pc/server on your lan?

If this were true I would expect you to know that you should not use vnc but tightvnc via the internet. This makes me suspect you are confusing internal lan operations with external access.

Please clarify this statement: "AdCalls, VNC, some games"

Are you hosting games? If not... I would think your modem/router port configurations are the problem. I would suggest you set them all back to defaults.

I would also add that if you put your modem into bridge mode, you have no software firewall, no router that the issue is not outgoing or incoming but resides locally only. Under these circumstances go to Shields Up! and run a port test. Should come back open. If not the problem has to be on your pc.

BTW this is a great way to get a port trojan, you are raw on the internet with no nat or firewall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice