Port Forwarding and Router problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rawnbalde

I just got an install my Linksys Router model number BEFSR41, and i was going to play one of my online games, but i couldn't, the game was stuck on the loading screen. It must have been the router b/c this just happened after i installed the router. So i made a static ip address to do some port forwarding, i went to the routers page and then to the Applications and Gaming section then to the port forwarding section. I type in the name of teh app, typed in the range of ports that i needed to be open, then put in my static ip address then clicked enable. Well, that didn't work.

Any ideas? I even tried turning on DMZ and that didn't even work.

do you have windows xp frewall runing?

if you don't run this

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

it is a port scan, if you see everything as green, then you have something blocking or filtering the ports

if you see everything as blue (closed) and one red (port 139) then all parts are opened.

i always leave all ports opened.

This might not be a router problem. If you unplug the router and attach the computer directly to the internet, does it still connect properly?

Rawnbalde

anyone else have any suggestons. Cuz now i'm noticing other programs wont connect to the internet.

Rawnbalde

alright, it turns out it was Norton Internet Security's fault. I disabled NIS and forwarded teh ports and the game ran smoothly.

Now, i'm assuming it was the NIS Firewall that was blocking the program. Should i just turn the thing off completely?

You can get rid of Norton firewall as your router should be working as a firewall (as long as you only forwarded the ports you need.)

Rawnbalde

turns out i don't even need the ports to be forwarded, just for the firewall to be off.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online