1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port Forwarding Behind two routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by logansosa, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

I am having a problem with forwarding ports. I have two routers, the first is connected to the modem and serves as the LAN1 and there are two computers connected to it, this router is connected to internet. The second is about 50 feet away and it is connected to the first by ethernet cable. This router is LAN2 and then transmits the the signal to the rest of the computers in my house via WLAN. Now I know how to port forward with one router and I thought I knew how to do it behind two routers but all in all the port is still not open, here is what I did:

1) R1 is Dlink DI-624 R2 is Linksys WRT300N
    I have forwarded Port 3036 and 3037 from R1 to R2's external Ip. I then forwarded port 3036 and 3037 from R2 to my Notebook which has Utorrent running and two ports that I use, those obviously being 3036 and 3037. I set it up that way since I have two static Ip's for my computer one for the LAN and one for the WLAN, it just depends if I am at my desk or about the house.

I looked at portforward and this is what it said to do and somehow the port is still closed and I don't know how.

For a little more detail: R2 shows an internet IP address of 192.168.0.104 which abviously has been assigned to it from R1 and this is the IP I am curretnly forwarding to. But how do I give my router a static external IP. And to tell the truth I am not 100% understanding external vs. internal Ip, external is suppose to be WAN right? The IP address that the internet sees, and the internal is suppose to be LAN or private right? the one that only the internal network users can see, so How do I get my R2 to have a static external so that my R1 can consistently forward to it?

Let me know if any more info is needed, thanks for any help to come.

Logan

2. jmwills

jmwills

You can only have one DHCP server per LAN segment. Disable DHCP on the second rouetr and give it an static IP Address outside the sope of the firt router. Poft forward from the first router to a static Ip address of any machine on the new LAN.

3. jackdw

jackdw

On your first router, set up the port forwards, NOT on the second one though. The one with the connection manipulates the incomign data to change it from saying it meant for your external IP to the one you set it up to.

DATA-81.25.1.5 (internet IP) Router 1 changes it to DATA-192.168.1.1 and gets sent to router 2, router 2 sees 192.168.1.1 and forwards it there.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you configure the secondary router properly, it won't require port forwarding, and you'll have a single subnet.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

5. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

Thanks guys, all is well, but I had to forward from first router to second router static ip, for some reason I couldn't forward from first router directly to my pc under second router.
    But the ports are now open and it's working fine.
    thanks again

Logan Sosa

oh and quick question about bandwith, my connection is a 10 Mb connection, does that mean 10 Mega Bits or bytes, and is lets say if my total connection speed is 1.25 mega bytes per second for downloads and 130 Kilobytes per second for uploads, then if I am uploading at max (130) with utorrent, would that disable any other pc from uploading at all like let's say an email. I was under the impression that bandwith is a limited amount and it is total and not per computer.

6. jackdw

jackdw

10megabit connection. There are 8 bytes in a bit. 10megabit divide by 8 = 1.25, 1.25 megabytes a second yes.

Uploading, no. The router will share out the the bandwidth evenly. And pelase don't mention torrents etc on here. A mod will pick it up and close the topic.

7. JohnWill

As mentioned, we don't help with illegal activities here.

8. logansosa

logansosa Thread Starter

Any ideas why, even though my settings are the same, my specified port to forward to is inconsistent with it's pathway, some times it is open, and sometimes it is closed, once it was closed for about 5 minutes when I first turned on the PC but then it was open, just like that. Now it is closed and I am not sure of ALL aspects that affect open and closed ports. Is there any way I can manually open specified ports?
    And just for clarification, I am not the only person in house that has admin capabilities, but like I said i checked both router settings and they have not changed.

9. researcher

researcher

Hi JohnWill, the steps you provided here are similar to the one I found at portforward.com, (link provided for reference)
    http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1133918703

So instead of double portforwarding, i opted to convert my second router into a switch/hub/WAP. I must note that this second router is a linksys wireless G model WRT54GS. I performed all the steps and I am still able to access the internet afterwards but the problem I am having is that I can't play online games (i.e. Starcraft, MapleStory, etc.). I tried forwarding ports on the FIRST router (which is a wired D-Link DI-604) but to no avail, I still cannot play these games!
    I also use Windows XP firewall that comes with service pack 2 and I opened the same ports in it. It still does not yield desirable results.

The only reason why I have a second router instead of a switch/hub is because I needed a wireless router so I can go online with my laptop.

Here's a rough diagram of my network setup (credit goes to MarkM, an admin from portforward.com; I slightly modified it though and I drew 3 red lines out of 1 LAN port for simplicity)
    NOTE: the red lines are simple blue ethernet cables
    [​IMG]

I appreciate any help you can provide regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance.
    - researcher

10. JohnWill

What is the issue. "Undesirable results" doesn't tell me much. :)

If you followed my guide exactly, this should work.

11. researcher

researcher

basically i cannot play online games despite port forwarding and being able to access the internet.

12. JohnWill

Can you play the game connected to the primary router? I'm thinking that the secondary router configuration isn't the issue here.

13. researcher

researcher

Hi JohnWill,

to answer your question, i tried playing these games on a computer that is behind the 1st router, and I am able to play them.

what confuses is why the computer behind the second router can't play these games since my network should be 1 LAN now instead of 2 because i converted the second router to act like a switch. :confused:

14. JohnWill

If you did the conversion properly, there should be no issue. I've done this on a number of networks, including mine, and the second router is transparent. Something is still in the mix that shouldn't be there.

15. researcher

researcher

JohnWill,

Is there some kind of network test to see if my second router really is really transparent?

-researcher

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice