1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port forwarding issue / two routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by suprra_girl, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suprra_girl

suprra_girl Thread Starter

Hi everyone :)

I've been trying to nut this out for a few days now and i still can't solve it so i thought i'd turn to a group that could help hehe

This is our networking setup:
    Networking: Phone line > D-link 502T Modem/Router > Blue ethernet cable > Netgear Wireless WGR614v7 Router > Ethernet to Desktop and wireless to notebook

d-link ip is 10.1.1.1
    Netgear is 192.168.1.1 and also 10.1.1.15
    My notebook 192.168.1.7
    Desktop 192.168.1.3

Internet is fine (being that i could post here is tell enough hehe)
    I need to forward some ports and i think i'm doing it right but ALL ports i try are always blocked :(

What i tried doing was forwarding port 50353 on the dlink to ip 10.1.1.15
    So in theory (my one anyway haha) was that if port 50353 was used on the notebook or desktop that it would be allowed through the netgear to the dlink and onward to the www

But it seems i was wrong lol

I don't understand :'( This is the first time i've had "routers" previously i used a DSE basic modem (no router) and a netgear fs108 which was plug n play, i never had to forward anything.
    The most i had to do was allow it in the various firewalls win xp etc

I would much appreicate help on this and how to get it working through both.
    I have read alot of pages mentioning bridges etc but i'm not sure how to implement them, i find the bridge pages but i'm not sure what exactly it's asking of me.

Again, thanks for any help :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Port forwarding is used for the other direction, to allow packets from the internet to get through to a computer. Are you really having outgoing messages blocked?

In your example if I send something to your public IP and port 50353 the D-Link will forward it to the Netgear router.

3. suprra_girl

suprra_girl Thread Starter

apparently the netgear was still operating as a dhcp server so everything was getting rather confused, i had a friend turn up today and managed to get it fixed for me :D

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice