1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port forwarding just wont work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PK-her0, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hi guys,

trying to setup port forwarding so i can view my cameras on my dvr over the internet, internally its working fine...
    i have the port opened on the firewall of my router to its correct (the DVR) ip address 192.168.1.127
    i cant rdp into another computer either
    i have tried two different routers with the same result (one is brand new, that come from the isp)
    its like the rules are just not working
    i phoned my isp who said that they dont offer support for port forwarding!!!
    When i use shields up or a similar port scanning website it says no ports are opened
    where can i start looking to resolve this problem?
    any info appreciated...

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You haven't told us what router you have or what ports you need forwarded.

Do you have a separate modem and router or one unit that is both a modem and router?

Some ISP's block residential accounts from hosting stuff so maybe that's what they mean by not supporting port forwarding, but depending on the hardware/router then may just leave that part up to the end user or the router manufacturer.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

As a temporary test, you could just set your WAN port to say 192.168.0.1 and then plug a PC directly up to the WAN port with an IP on say 192.168.0.2. Then you can directly test whether the port forward rules are working and if they are then you probably have some confirmation the ISP is doing something with the connection request.

Also, did you verify all the ports you need are captured in your port forward rules? I am currently installing IP cameras too in my home. I set the camera to use HTTPS instead of HTTP. So I only allowed HTTPS through. I was able to connect in to the web interface of the camera but couldn't see any video. Come to find out, I still needed HTTP as the video stream was being sent over this and not HTTPS.

4. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

thanks guys...will gather the info over the weekend and post back...thanks for the hope
    i will also fetch some screen shots...i have set this sort of stuff up successfully in the past...dont know whats wrong here...

5. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

OK so its a eircom Zyxel D1000 Modem, though i also tried with a netgear

i have attached screenshots

i found another option today in firewall\default option which permited wan to lan, but that didnt help...think thats for packet forwarding etc...anyway

if you need any other info let me know...thanks for the help guys.

Attached Files:

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Looking at the options you have available and not being able to see all the different configurations screens, I would say on the first screen, you need to set it to low instead of custom. My take on the custom option is if you're looking to create your own firewall rules. But if that's not it, you might have to look under the rules tab and see if you have to define a firewall rule to allow the external traffic in.

In many enterprise class firewalls (such as SonicWall), you have to do two things to allow a port forward to work. One create the NAT rule which sets it up at the IP level and then create a firewall rule to allow the traffic flow.

My obligatory soap box.....exposing RDP (3389) is a very bad idea and not best practices for security. If you're really intent on doing this, at a minimum, you should do port translation so you're not exposing the well known port of 3389 to the Internet. Pick something like 22645 which isn't so obvious and have the firewall map that port to the internal port of 3389.

7. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

It actually says to set your firewall to custom when port forwarding, but i have tried off and low...no success
    the 3389 was just for testing...but no...wont work

As always...thanks ZX10GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice