1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port forwarding not working | Firewall settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DHIPN, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DHIPN

DHIPN Thread Starter

Hello all,

I'm trying to open ports via my Linksys EA6100 Smart-wifi router through my PC to create a Minecraft server for family members. I've created one before and all was good but the port 25565 is closed now and no one can join and I'm unable to reopen the port via configuring a port forward on my router. I need assistance because it might be firewall related but I'm still unsure. Any assistance will be great.

DHIPN

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2017
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check the Minecraft server's firewall. You should need to open an incoming port/incoming rule for the server application.

I don't understand why you have to do port forwarding on the router. Your family members all live in the same house, right ? If so, then you don't need to forward traffic from the internet to the server PC?

3. DHIPN

DHIPN Thread Starter

Where do I check the Minecraft server's firewall? Also, I have to port forward because not everyone lives together that wants to play on the server so I need to open ports so they can join via the external IP.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Windows FIrewall Start > Windows Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

5. DHIPN

DHIPN Thread Starter

Would it be possible to have you assist me via remoting into my pc..?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

No, can't remote to your PC, forum rules forbid that.

7. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    The problem may be the program you're using. I had to try 3 different programs to find one that worked. (explained how to go in and make the changes.)

8. DHIPN

DHIPN Thread Starter

Okay, well. I do not know what the Minecraft server's firewall settings should have. I have port-forwarded before but it is not working this time around. The one thing I can confirm is that the port 25565 is not open when I check it even after doing "ipconfig" and using my IPv4 address in the router configuration on the EA6100. I'm only doing a single port forward via the web browser they use for the router, so it goes:
    | App name| External port | Internal port | Protocol | Device IP | Enable |
    | Minecraft | 25565 | 25565 | Both:UDP/TCP | xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx | True |

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

Actually configuring the firewall is not that difficult. Just click on Incoming Rules on the left , then click New Rule on the right and follow the prompts. Choose Program, Next. Browse to the Minecraft Server and Next, Next, Next , Finish

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is it possible that you are checking the wrong ip address for the open port ? Google for 'whats is my ip'. You should know that this ip is subject to change whenever the ISP feels like it.

11. DHIPN

DHIPN Thread Starter

Yes, I check my port on the correct external IP by using the what's my IP websites. But at this point, I don't know what else to do. I'm stuck.

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

Maybe the internal ip that you specified is wrong. Check with the ipconfig command on the Minecraft machine.

13. DHIPN

DHIPN Thread Starter

When doing "ipconfig" in the cmd prompt I know that I'm using the correct IPv4 address.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice