1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port Forwarding Novice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by InigoMontoiya, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InigoMontoiya

InigoMontoiya Thread Starter

Hi there,

I will preface this with the fact I am new to port forwarding an unaware if what I am trying to do is possible.

Background:

I recently moved house and at my new flat the internet access point is in a separate room form my PC. To fix this obvious problem I am currently using a laptop to pick up the wifi and then using an ethernet cable to give my PC internet access through sharing.

The Problem:

I am trying to get my Plex Media server back up and running but cannot enable remote access. I never had any issues with this before and I think that port forwarding is not working because I am running my PC (which is my Plex Media Server) through my laptop.

Is it possible to setup remote access for my Plex Media Server with port forwarding if I am running my internet connection through my laptop.

Cheers and any help is much appreciated.

2. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

It sounds like the laptop's firewall is blocking the port forward.

If at all possible, I would run ethernet cable from your modem or router instead of using this laptop/WIFI setup.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using "Sharing" I doubt it. No pre-10 Windows version had a port forward feature and I doubt that Windows 10 added it.

By bridging the connections instead of Sharing I see no reason why port forwarding on the router would not work for either computer.

4. InigoMontoiya

InigoMontoiya Thread Starter

Hi Simpilot!

I agree, I have looked around and found a few powerline adpaters that might do the trick. Just not sure how reliable they are

5. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Why do you need remote access on plex if your plex server is on the local network?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice