1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port Forwarding problem. No ports are open.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pugly, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

I was trying to figure out why a game installer keeps giving me file download errors so I learned it may be that I need to forward a port. I have set up a static IP, and added ports to forward in my router's settings. When I check if the ports I forwarded are open, none are. I was miserably trying to figure this out when I decided to see if any ports are open. According to a couple different port checking websites, none are open. Not even common ones like port 80, 443, 20, 21, and 22.

What could be going on here?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The account numbers you listed are normally not open, and port checking websites are acting correctly, unless you have specifically forwarded those ports.

What ports do you have to forward to get the installer working? I believe you have a misunderstanding of what port forwarding can accomplish.

3. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

There are ports that should show open just for me to be able to do any of the things I normally do on the internet right?

54994 is one port I need.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

A router does NAT (network address translation). If you have 5 PCs connected to the router, the router funnels them out to the internet using one ip address, because you only get one ip address assigned from your ISP. Lets say all 5 PCs are surfing to different places. The router receives a surf request to go to google.com, coming from PC #1 which is lets say 192.168.1.11. The destination google.com is at x.x.x.x port 80. The router 'translates' the PC #1's ip address, into a random port number X of the router, and sends the request to google at x.x.x.x port 80. ( web sites have ports 80, and 443 open because it ts the web standard ports ) Google then sends the results page back to your ISP assigned IP address, port X, Which is the router then translated back to your PC #1's real ip, which is 192.168.1.11.

So, port 80 and 443 are the destination ports open on all web sites. Those 2 port numbers have nothing to do with the router. And doing a port scan of your router will not reveal any open ports.

Because routers do NAT, and your network has 5 PC's with their individual ip addresses, but anyone outside your network can only see the one public ip address assigned by your ISP. And if that someone wants to talk directly to your PC #1 192.168.1.11, then you will have to 'port forward'. Lets say that someone wants to talk to your PC #1's port 4444, you will have to configure so that your public ISP assigned IP on your router properly forwards that port 4444 request to your PC #1's 192.168.1.11 port 4444. Thats why it is called port forwarding.

5. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Ok so if I went into my routers settings, and forwarded port 4444 to my pc’s private IP, what would still logically prevent that port showing as open?

I have fixed this problem by paying for a VPN, but I would like to understand why that worked and how to save my money and accomplish this without the VPN.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, it should show up on internet port scans as open. But, you still need to open that incoming port in Windows Firewall.

7. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Yea it's not working. Could somebody walk me through this? To simplify things, rather than work on every port I need for my games, let's just work on getting one single port open properly. I'd really appreciate some help. All kinds of things are funky in my life because of this problem, not just my PC games.

edit: I think if there's a way to see if the ISP is doing the blocking itself, that might save a lot of time.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  8. lunarlander

lunarlander

What is the brand and model number of your router ? Let me try to find the manual for it.

9. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Did you open the port in the firewall?

11. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Yes, I believe I did.

12. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well, you should probably check.
    You can momentarily disable it to see if the port remains unavailable. If so, then there's most likely an issue with the forwarding in the router.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice