1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port forwarding Static Ip Required???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Finspat, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Finspat

Finspat Thread Starter

Ok here is is my endeavor I am trying to be able to view my IP camera outside of my network.
    It works great with in the confines of my local network. Here is what I have done, I did the port forward
    on my router (PK 5000 Actiontec), I put the camera's ip address in for the port forward along with port 8080
    To see if it works, I had entered my external ip address along with the colon and port numer, no luck.
    I pinged my external ip address , that worked great.
    Also I tried to access my camera out side of my network.
    So my main question is there more to it then just doing the port forward.
    I read somewhere that there needs to be a static IP address? whats that?
    any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind Regard
    Fins

2. ETech7

ETech7

Check if you got port forwarding right: go to canyouseeme dot org, type in your port (8080) and click Check Your Port. It will tell you if any device on your network is listening on that port. In some case you wont be able to access your dvr with public ip if you are on the same lan, even if the port is opeand forwarded right. So use your cellphone 3/4G or ask some one to check it from outside your lan. Make sure you/they type in the address like that: http://your.public.i.p:portnumber (for ex, http://8.8.8.8:53).

Static IP address - the one that never changes, but you will have to pay for that feature. You can use dynamic dns service, there lots of free ones out there. Some DVRs have it built in. But neither is required. It is just when your IP changes, you will not be able to access dvr until you find out whats the new ip is.

3. Finspat

Finspat Thread Starter

wow fast response, I went to to the site and it shows my port being timed out.
    I am happy I was using the correct address, to see if i could access the camera.
    I am using my 4g smartphone to test.
    Anyother ideas where to poke around
    again thank you so much for getting back to me

Fins

4. ETech7

ETech7

Make sure you configured your router right - http://portforward dot com/

If it's provided by ISP, contact them.

5. Finspat

Finspat Thread Starter

I am sure I did it correctly, I entered the camera ip address then in the ports I put 80 80
    then i use TCP then i hit apply and the rule showed up at the bottom of page.. would you like a screen shot of the page in the router?
    Could I change port 80 to another port???
    I can do that in the camera pretty easily

thanks again

Fins

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your device (IP camera) does not need to have a static IP, but you want to give it one. When it changes the port forward also has to be changed.

If your router's Dhcp server has the "reserved address" feature you can use that. That way the IP camera can still ask for a dynamic configuration but the router will always give it the same one. Else you have to assign an IP configuration yourself, and make sure the IP is outside the Dhcp server's address range.

What port(s) is/are involved? You said 8080 in your first post and 80 in post # 5.

7. Finspat

Finspat Thread Starter

so sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I am on my other computer, I manage to download a big booboo
    now I have a real mess on my hands!!!
    From what I read it's called GENIO and I will be in another part of this forum to see how I can remove this.
    I am using port 8080

Fins

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice