Port forwarding

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rayanabdo123

Hello, im trying to port forward to lower my ping, when i go to my isp login and go to port forwarding i see LAN port and WAN port, and under each one a begin and end, if i want to forward port 80 for example, where do i insert the 80, in the begin only or in the begin and end? Also, when i insert it in begin and end, i get the message 'port reserved'.

And if there is a port with two numbers with a dash between them, what do i do? Keep in mind if i leave a blank place it says 'numerals only'.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Where did you get the idea using port forwarding has an effect on latency? Because there is no correlation. If anything, you have the potential of slowing the performance of your router.

Rayanabdo123

Where did you get the idea using port forwarding has an effect on latency? Because there is no correlation. If anything, you have the potential of slowing the performance of your router.
Hey,i actually figured out how to open these ports and my ping dropped from 100ms to 70ms believe it or not, but you are right, i feel that the performance of my router has dropped, pages are taking longer to load. I can keep the ports closed and then open them when im gaming to solves this problem tho.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Whatever happened to lower your latency was not due to the port forwarding configuration. Latency can fluctuate for a variety of reasons. I can say with 100% certainty it was not due to the port forward rules. You only use port forwarding when you need to expose a computer and a service port on that computer to the Internet. Because your gaming software operated fine before these port forward rules went into effect, you've now created an unnecessary hole in your firewall that is now a security risk.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online