1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port forwarding

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rayanabdo123, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rayanabdo123

Rayanabdo123 Thread Starter

Hello, im trying to port forward to lower my ping, when i go to my isp login and go to port forwarding i see LAN port and WAN port, and under each one a begin and end, if i want to forward port 80 for example, where do i insert the 80, in the begin only or in the begin and end? Also, when i insert it in begin and end, i get the message 'port reserved'.

And if there is a port with two numbers with a dash between them, what do i do? Keep in mind if i leave a blank place it says 'numerals only'.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Where did you get the idea using port forwarding has an effect on latency? Because there is no correlation. If anything, you have the potential of slowing the performance of your router.

3. Rayanabdo123

Rayanabdo123 Thread Starter

Hey,i actually figured out how to open these ports and my ping dropped from 100ms to 70ms believe it or not, but you are right, i feel that the performance of my router has dropped, pages are taking longer to load. I can keep the ports closed and then open them when im gaming to solves this problem tho.

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Whatever happened to lower your latency was not due to the port forwarding configuration. Latency can fluctuate for a variety of reasons. I can say with 100% certainty it was not due to the port forward rules. You only use port forwarding when you need to expose a computer and a service port on that computer to the Internet. Because your gaming software operated fine before these port forward rules went into effect, you've now created an unnecessary hole in your firewall that is now a security risk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice