1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

port mapping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ti_xena, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti_xena

ti_xena Thread Starter

ok, I am new at mapping ports, and this is my first real attempt at it, but not working.......LOL
    currently have a 2 pc network on a adsl connection. Using a nice Arescom dsl modem, and a linksys 4 port hub. OK, that said........
    main pc I want to map to is 192.168.1.2 (static), and have about 7-8 ports that are needed to be open for a specific software (game). I have made the setting changes on the modem but the pc cannot be seen or pinged from the outside. So am I missing something or what. I have tried bypassing the hub, and plugging said pc directly into the modem, but that doesn't work either........help!!
    Thanx in advance.

2. Monk_

Monk_

Unless you are using a router running NAT or a proxy server, you cannot resolve a 192.168.1.x address from the internet. Your modem is being assigned an address from your ISP, that is the only real address facing the internet. You need to be able to translate your internal address to an address that can be resolved on the net.
    I'm not familiar with that brand of DSL Modem so I dont know what features, if any, it will support. A small router may be your best option. Also, I am not sure what you mean by port mapping.

3. ti_xena

ti_xena Thread Starter

Yes, I realize that my ISP IP is the only one "visible" to the outside world. What is called mapping, would be like "statically routing" ports. I have 2 pc's on the network, and the ip mentioned above needs to be the one to handle any traffic on certain designated ports. Thus, the ports were assigned at the modem to route the traffic to said IP. It is supposed to work, but isn't.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice