1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port my landline phone number to what service?

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by muckmail, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I did a port request with At&t to port my local phone number and it is confirmed
    but I need to find a good place to port it to. In the future, I want to port the
    number to magic jack but that is not available at this time.

I was thing about porting it to a prepay go phone which is 25.00 for 3 months.

Maybe there is a better/cheaper internet service I could port that number to
    that would forward calls to my magic jack. Any suggestions on what service I might
    consider??

Thank you,

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Doesn't look too good for internet based systems right now.
    I am seeing some services that are offering porting and forwarding
    to magic jack,but it seems the are trying to gouge customers with
    monthly fees and limited minutes.
    I saw a page where google voice is working on it for the future,
    so you might use a GO phone for now and keep an eye on google voice.
    Magic jack apparently is not interested in number porting at this time.

3. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

just wondering 'why even port it'

I believe your one of the few with an actual land line;)

you don't need a line for magic jack other then dsl or a landline. I shut my landline off and just receive dsl data.

don't know it this helps your situation but I'm just surfing around :)

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I have a Google Voice number that I configure to ring whatever phone numbers I have.

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

They want to use their existing number,I assume because they have had
    it for a while and don't want the trouble of giving a new number to everyone.
    So they need to port the old number,not use a new one to forward,which would
    defeat the purpose as they could just give out their magicjack number.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I was offering advice for the best solution going forward. Hitching your star to AT&T isn't very future-proof. They'll fight kicking and screaming into the next era of telecommunications.

7. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

The land line I have wil remain becuse the phone is needed for emergencies. This is a secondary
    number that I want to keep. I prefer to put it on a magic jack but that may not be possable. I guess the prepay phone is the only option I have right now. The pre pay is $26 for 3 months but it cost 25 cents/ min to use.
    Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I guess I'm understanding what you mean by "port". If the land line is used only for emergencies, then I assume no one calls you on that line. Get a Google Voice number and use that to ring whatever phones or devices you want to use.

9. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

On another forum someone mentiond using www.voicestick.com but I can not get their web
    site to come up. Anyone know about www.voicestick service?
    Thank you,

10. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

I found this; http://reviews.cnet.com/voip/voicestick/4864-9238_7-31516454-1.html
    "Stay away from this company."

on April 2, 2009 by cned (2 reviews)
    Pros: The voicestick dongle was a good idea in the beginning (until they changed the software design & mine became useless). Service was adequate, although mediocre, in the beginning as a portable alternative to conventional phone service.

Cons: Flaky company. Changes plans, technology, procedures, infrastructure without warning. Hardware is inferior. Current offerings are not as good as the competition. Call quality is terrible. Quality of service is terrible.

Summary: I started using this service in 2005.

I was already a Vonage user. The i2Telecom portable voicestick dongle and later their first ATA provided a way to receive and place business phone calls from my remote office. Although the call quality was never very good and calls were frequently dropped, the service was adequate for my needs.

When they offered their first ATA I purchased one. The device was wonky and required occasional reconfiguration but it allowed the use of a conventional telephone handset instead of using a softphone or voicestick dongle. This hub worked reasonably well and provided a cellular bridge which worked most of the time.

I believe my original plan cost around $10 per month and allowed unlimited calling. Later this plan was replaced by a different plan, then another and so on and so on.

One day without notification I received a new ATA in the mail and discovered that my old one would no longer work. So I plugged in the new one and activated and it worked right out of the box. Gone, however, were many of the features of the old device.

I no longer used their service for the remote office phone, having found a better alternative with a Skype base station (better QoS, very few dropped calls, service always on line). Nonetheless, I still kept the ATA connected and used it from time to time. Then, one day, I discovered that the box had mysteriously died. I dropped the service.

Then, about a year ago I got an email telling me that the service had been improved significantly and the plans restructured (again). So I looked at their plans and signed on to the next to nothing and bought $10 of calling time.

Just for the heck of it I made a couple of calls over the next two months but still had a balance of around $7.

Then yesterday (April 01, 2009) I get an email telling from Voicestick: "VoiceStick System Upgrade Announcement". I read the blurb and log into my account. I discover that I no longer have any prepaid minutes left and that my calling plan has changed and that my free plan now costs $2.99 per month. So I click on my account profile, and low and behold, the credit card I had on file, which expired last year, now has a new expiration date (which I did not enter)!

f you are looking for a good VOIP service this is not it. I was with Vonage for five years but recently left them for ooma. Ooma requires an upfront cost of a hub/ATA but that's it. After that the service is free and the call quality is excellent.

Updated on Apr 2, 2009

First sentence last paragraph should read:

If you are looking for a good VOIP service this is not it.

Updated on Apr 2, 2009

I forgot to mention that for a long time incoming calls were free. They are free with most VOIP providers. But then voicestick started charging for incoming calls.

11. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

btw, I did a search on voicestik, a lot of bad reviews on them, I believe I would look elsewhere.

12. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I guess the best thing to do for now is to put the number on an AT&T prepay phone and wait on magic jack to add the porting feature then port the number to magic jack. The At&t prepay cost 27.00 for 3 months and I can find some uses for the prepay phone. In that way I will not have to deal with some flaky internet company to keep the number.

As far as magic jack, It has some draw backs but overall it is ok and it works. My objective is to port my number to magic jack when that is available.

I can't get rid of my land line because I have an elder living with me and there are emergancies at my location at times.

My number will be available after Wedsday so I will need to do something with it in
    order to keep the number.

Does that sound like a plan?
    Thank you,

13. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

14. Tapeuup

Tapeuup

that looks good at first glance
    read some reviews of Callcentric

you have an elderly with you and I was wondering if you gave LifeLine a thought, this would make great use of a landline.

15. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

She has a sitter that stays with her.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice