1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

port probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sazuki Metho, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sazuki Metho

Sazuki Metho Thread Starter

i just recently built my computer, but it refuses to acknowledge that it has a Ethernet port on it. the port is built onto the intel motherboard and the thing just doesnt realise that its there. should i buy a netowrking card or is this a software problem? (ive never built a computer before this one)

2. Rukee

Rukee Banned

the drivers for it should be on the motherboard install CD, did you install all the drivers on the included install CD??

3. Sazuki Metho

well that another thing, was i supposed to install that before i installed windows? the cd i got with the motherboard had some programs on it, but when i try to install them the computer reboots. someone told me that this was a windows software problem

4. Rukee

Rukee Banned

after a reformat, you install windows first, then the motherboard chipset drivers, LAN and sound drivers, DirrectX9.0C, and the video drivers. The computer may reboot itself durring the install of some drivers, depending on how the driver CD install is set up, but if the computer crashs and reboots durring the install, that`s another thing.

5. Sazuki Metho

it doesnt "crash" per say, it just reboots without loading it. i just loaded up musicmatch and it got to 100% and rebooted. musicmatch isnt installed though.

6. Rukee

Rukee Banned

have you install the motherboard chipset drivers?? DirrectX9.0c?

7. Sazuki Metho

yes i did manage to get directx installed without a shutdown, and a thing called LAN desktop manager. i have an ehternet cord hooked to the computer but it still cant tell it has one

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Unless you install all of the motherboard chipset drivers, very little will work correctly and the ethernet will not be recognised.

If you are getting "reboots" for no reason when loading some software, it indicates a problem in the computer hardware, most likely faulty RAM.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice