1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

port replicator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dc57, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dc57

dc57 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm having a problem with a dell Inspiron laptop that seems to have a loose ac port. If I hold the plug in, it will boot and start up. As soon as I let go of the plug, it shuts off. I've read that a port replicator or docking station will take care of this problem. If I do that, will it be a work around or will I still have to take this thing apart and repair the broken port? If I still have to fix it, then I don't see any reason to buy a replicator.
    Thanks in advance.

2. dc57

dc57 Thread Starter

Also, will I be able to charge the battery through the port replicator?

Thanks

3. Dell_CA

Dell_CA Account Closed

Hello,

My name is Mike, I’m a Technical Analyst at Dell corporate headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I’m part of an internet outreach team developed to interact with the online community regarding technical questions and issues that customers face with Dell products. I read your question and wanted to offer some help.

Our Inspiron notebooks don’t have the docking station connecter on the base of the system, hence no docking station can be attached. There are USB port replicators that should work with the Inspiron line, however they, unlike the docking stations, don’t have the ability to charge the notebook. Unfortunately, the only way to repair a broken AC port is to either have it resoldered by a professional, which usually doesn’t last for very long and can end up doing more damage then good, or the motherboard would need to be replaced, which is considerably more expensive (although some online hunting may yield some good deals.) You can check the motherboard availability on our website here, but again, a little shopping around may be best depending on your budget. I hope this information is helpful and I’m sorry to hear about the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
    Dell customer advocate

4. dc57

dc57 Thread Starter

Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding and thanks for the information. I am going to try re-soldering it first. I have to go with the cheapest route for now. Your info was very helpful to me. Thank you very much.

Don

5. Dell_CA

Dell_CA Account Closed

That's completely reasonable and understandable. I'm glad I could help, and good luck!

Mike
    Dell customer advocate

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice