1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Port won't open

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drawingamouse, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drawingamouse

drawingamouse Thread Starter

Hello, I need some help. I am trying to open a port in my router. In the settings it says the port is open, but when I check using canyouseeme.org it tells me that it's not.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello drawingamouse, and welcome to TSG.

Is your router connected directly to the Internet or is it going through some kind of modem first? If it is going through a modem that is not configured as a gateway, you may need to do port forwarding on the modem as well.

Do you have something connected on the LAN side of your router that will reply to PING requests coming in through the forwarded port?

Is there a possibility that your ISP is blocking that particular port number? An ISP that may not allow web hosting for an account of your type, may block port 80.

3. drawingamouse

I'm pretty sure it's going through a modem first, but I don't know. How would I do port forwarding on the modem?
    I don't know much about that, I'm sorry. All I know is that I've opened ports before with a different router.
    It's also worth mentioning that I successfully opened the port the other day, and canyouseeme.org said it was open. I checked again 20 minutes later, and it was not open anymore. I don't know how this could have happened and I have no idea how to fix it.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I don't think anybody here could tell you if and how to configure your modem without knowing the brand and exact model number of the modem and also your ISP's name. Also, are you able to log into the modem's administration/configuration screens?

Also please answer my previous question: "Do you have something connected on the LAN side of your router that will reply to PING requests coming in through the forwarded port?" If it is your computer and you need port forwarding for a particular program on that computer, you need to make sure the program is running when checking if the port is open.

Whatever device on your LAN side that is receiving the port forwarding most likely needs a static IP address. If the device is using DHCP to get its IP address from the router and your router's DHCP configuration does not reserve a given IP address for the device, the device can be assigned a different IP address every time it or the router is power cycled. Getting assigned a different IP address will definitely break port forwarding.

5. drawingamouse

I'm sorry, but I don't exactly know what I'm doing. I understood most of what you said, though.
    Yes, I am able to log into my modem's configuration screens.
    As for the LAN thing- My PC is connected by ethernet if that's what you mean?
    I have configured my device to have a static IP instead of a DHCP, although I have no idea whether or not it was DHCP before.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I will try to break down my questions and information requests to what I hope will be easier to answer. There are also some new questions.

1. The brand and exact model number of your router.
    2. The brand and exact model number of your modem.
    3. The name of your Internet Service Provider.
    4. Is the port forwarding being directed to your computer or to some other device?
      4.1 If you are port forwarding to your computer is it to communicate with some software running on the computer? If so what is the name of the software, the port numbers it uses on the computer, and was it running at the time your port open test failed?
      4.2 If you are port forwarding to some other device on your network, what is the brand and model number of the device?
    5. If you are port forwarding to your computer, open a Command prompt screen and enter the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL . Copy the complete results and paste them into a reply here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice