1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved portable drive caution in CrystalDisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serge2012, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a portable drive and it's still working fine but when I connect it to my computer and check CrystalDisk I see health status "caution" and in Reallocated sectors count - current 100, worst 100, threshold 36, raw 000000000006. I don't have much data on that disk and I was wondering if I will be able to keep using it for a while?

Thanks for your help.

Serge

2. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

I just did a scan for that external drive with Command Prompt sfc /scannow and I got the message after the scan " Windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. For online repairs details are included in the CBS log file..."

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SFC is for Windows files on your C drive, no bearing in the external drive.

Do you value the data on the external drive? If you do then you should have backup already.

In Device Manager it should tell you the brand of the drive and you can do a full drive test on the drive, make take an hour or so to run through. If it fails the drive don't trust it at all.

4. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Triple6,

Thanks for your reply. Ok! Well actually I already moved all my files of that external drive, I just have a few copies of some those files on that drive. What would you recommend to do a full drive test on that portable drive?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics which will be available to download and run from their website. In Device Manager it will list the drive model unless it's from one of the drive manufacturer's themselves like a Seagate or Western Digital in which that will also be the hard drive brand inside it.

6. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Triple6,

I'm going to start running SeaTools diagnostic on my portable drive. I had one last question to ask you ; do you think an external drive is better and last longer than a portable drive, I know there's a fan inside and that helps to cool down the disk. I have some other portable drives at home and when I used them they can heat up pretty quickly...

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Portable and external drive are used fairly interchangeably, both are external and both are portable. Not all 3.5" external drives have fans. The fan can help but honestly I generally advise only using external drives for backup or transporting files, I'd never recommend having the one and only copy of data on an external, or for that matter on any singular device.

8. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your information and sorry for the delay to write back but I was very busy these last few days. I think I got all the information I needed and I'm going to close this thread now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice