Portable drive not accessable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

muckmail

I have a Toshiba portable drive 320G, 593400E that I am trying to get some files from.

When I try to access it windows 7 says "directory or file is corrupted". What should I do next to
try to recover data form it?

Thank you,

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Use CHKDSK command line in CMD

1. Right-click on Start or Windows icon --> Search --> Type command prompt.

2. Right-click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator".

3. Enter the below command: chkdsk /f h: --> Press Enter. (Replace h: with the drive letter of your inaccessible disk or drive.)

4. If it replies drive cannot be checked as it is in use do you wish to check on restart type Y
If it first replies - drive cannot be checked until dismount is forced do you wish to force dismount type N
It should then reply as the first example in which you type Y

5. Restart the computer and then try again to access the drive.
IF you now can access the drive get all your data off it - copied to another drive just in case the cause is pending drive failure

6. One common cause of the error, besides a failing drive is
If you unplug a removable disk from the computer without using Safely Remove while the drive is transferring or reading data, you will risk losing vital files system information.

This is one of the most common reasons for "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable" error.

muckmail

I did the ckdsk command mentioned above and there is no change in drive message errors.

Is there a software recover package I might try?

Years ago I had the same problem and think I used a free software package. I think the
software was suggested on this forum.

I can't remember the software name or the download website.
It has been too long.

Thank you,

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
send me please an image of the disk management window showing that drive as per my screenshot
Untitled.png

so that the top pane shows the drives and the lower pane shows that external

What did the chkdsk cmd report please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts