1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved portable drives - Crystaldisk "caution"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serge2012, Oct 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have two portable drives at home and I haven't had any issues with them but for a few months each time I viewed their health status in CrystalDisk I could see the same information for both of them "caution" with a yellow dot. Here's more information for each disk :

Disk 1 :

ID C5 current pending sector - current 100 worst 100 - threshold 0 - raw values 000000000008

Disk 2 :

ID 05 reallocation sectors count - current 100 worst 100 - threshold 36 - raw values 000000000006

Should I be worried or not and what does that mean?

Thanks for your help.

Serge

2. Shazzalive

Shazzalive

First Name:
    Sharron
    It means that a number of areas of your drive contain bad sectors. Windows usually fixes bad sectors; but it tends to bother far more about the C: drive than any other when doing so. - And rightly so. Windows doesn't pay a lot of attention to drive errors on external drives, so it may or may not in time get round to fixing them. - 'Probably more like not.

There is a way that you can force Windows to fix those errors though. Note: Just because Windows is capable of fixing some errors doesn't mean that all errors and bad sectors are fixable.

Note also that many such readings are false positives and the drive is, in reality, perfectly OK.

So let's see if Windows can help: -

To do this, connect your portable drive and make a note of the drive letter allocated to it. I'm going to hypothetically assume the drive letter Y is allocated to it.

Open a command prompt as admin.

Type CHKDSK Y: /r /f /x

( That's CHKDSK space Y: space /r space /f space /x )

Press return.

- And let the machine do its thing. It might take quite a long time; depending upon how much data you have on the drive and the capacity of said drive.

If nothing changes then Windows can't make any improvements by attempting a repair.

What it doesn't mean is that the drive is no good, nor does it mean that the readings weren't a false positive from the start.

Caution: If the readings get worse fairly quickly then back up any data you need that's on the drive(s) and dispose of/replace the drive(s).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi Shazzalive,

Thanks a lot for all your information. I won't have time to do that today but I will work on it over the weekend and will get back to you afterwards.

Serge

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You are advised NOT to run the suggested command
    Type CHKDSK Y: /r /f /x

the parameter
    f
    checks for file system errors and attempts to correct them

the parameter
    r
    includes f but also checks for bad sectors - physical errors on a disk - and if found attempts to recover data from the sector and rewrite it to a good sector, then marking the sector as bad to prevent data being written to it in future

the parameter
    x
    FORCES a dismount and as you can see if the drive happens to be in use when you issue the command all opens handles are invalidated
    Although the risk is LESS than it would be if the drive was your OS drive -there is still an unnecessary risk

/x - force the volume to dismount. Also invalidates all open file handles. This should be avoided because it may cause data loss/corruption.

If you use the command issue it without the X
    You need only the /r
    You may then receive a reply
    The drive cannot be checked as it is in use
    Do you wish to force a dismount Y/N

If you do receive that message type N
    You will then receive a message do you wish to run on restart Y/N
    now type Y
    and restart.

You may only receive the second reply.

When you have done that you will then need to get the results of the chkdsk and if necessary I will guide you with that when you reply.

IF the drives have any data you value BACK that data up BEFORE the chkdsk

SarahSims likes this.
  5. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster,

Thanks for your message. I'm going to work on that some time tomorrow. The problem is that I don't want to back up everything on those drives, on one of them I have close 500GB of data... Is there really any serious risk running that command CHKDSK Y: /r ?

6. Macboatmaster

Serious risk NO
    risk YES
    I doubt your drive is lettered Y
    change that to the letter allocated as posted

7. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster,

Thanks for your reply. Well it there are some potential risk I don't think I'm going to do it for now. Both drives are still working for now but if I start having some problems with them then I'll buy another portable drive and back up all my files then I will try CHKDSK. I'm going to save all the information you send me and I will close this thread.

Thanks again for your help and have a nice weekend.

Serge

8. Macboatmaster

OK
    I would not worry too much about the report from CrystalDisk

It does not necessarily mean that your drive has physical bad sectors
    If it did those bad sectors cannot be repaired they are dealt with as I mentioned in post 4

CrystalDisk
    https://harddrivegeek.com/crystaldiskinfo-caution/

see the above and keep your eye on the situation - if it does not change the raw value all is OK
    No need to rush out and buy another drive at this stage

9. Serge2012

Serge2012 Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the link.

10. Macboatmaster

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice