#1 ·
Hello,

I've been having problems with a Western Digital My Passport
2TB Portable External Hard Drive #2211-E2

The first error message I got was:

The Operation Could Not Be Completed
Because the Volume Is Dirty

Which I eventually fixed by going into Disk Management and changing
the file system type from exFat to NTFS.

But now whenever I try to add something to this external hard drive. I get this message:

Could not find this item This is no longer located in J:\ Verify the item's location and try again.

Can someone please tell me how to fix this issue.

I've also added screenshots of the error messages.

Thanks

Product Line: My Passport
Brand: Western Digital
Model: WDBLPG0020BBK-WESE
Type: Portable External HDD
Storage Capacity: 2TB
Features: Time Machine Compatible, USB-Powered
MPN: WDBLPG0020BBKWESE
Interface: USB-C
UPC: 0718037862101
EAN: 0718037862101

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20160229133749.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1723 MB
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (172 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (261 GB Free); G: 465 GB (100 GB Free); H: 931 GB (100 GB Free); J: 1863 GB (1712 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0D441T, ver A01, s/n CN7360408P00EO.
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 15, s/n H495NN1
Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Try changing the drive letter of the external drive from J to something else then see if the problem has gone.
You can do that in Disk Management by right clicking on the J partition > Change drive letter...

#7 ·
Hi, I changed the drive from J to L but when I tried to add a 48 MB folder.
It stopped loading about half way and I got the same error message as
before. Which was: Could not find this item. This item is no longer located in L:\ Verify the items location and try again.

Also a light in the back of the external drive just keeps flashing.

#5 ·
I eventually fixed by going into Disk Management and changing the file system type from exFat to NTFS.
I own seven WD external portable hard drives. They come formatted out of the box as NTFS. (for Windows computers; Apple they are formatted differently)
If yours was exFAT, then it was formatted by someone who replaced the original file system.
How was the drive formatted from NTFS to exFAT?

#6 ·
I own seven WD external portable hard drives. They come formatted out of the box as NTFS. (for Windows computers; Apple they are formatted differently)
If yours was exFAT, then it was formatted by someone who replaced the original file system.
How was the drive formatted from NTFS to exFAT?
Hi, I bought it on eBay and when I got it. It was exFAT and I changed it to NTFS in Device Manager.

#8 ·
Has that WD external drive worked ok for you before this problem started ?

Check that drive by right clicking the partition in Disk Management > Properties > Tools tab > Check now > Start
Let me know how that goes please, it could take a long time.

#11 ·
Hi, when I went into Disk Management and tried to start the scan I got this message: Windows can't check the disk while it's in use. Do you want to dismount this volume first? I pressed force a dismount. Then I pressed start and when it finished. I got this message: Your device was successfully scanned. No problems were found.

Also, the blinking light on the back of the drive stopped blinking.

Attachments

#12 ·
Those messages are normal and the drive passed that test.

Can you use the drive now or is it still giving the 'item no longer on L' messages ?
Just to be clear you get that message when you try to save a file onto the drive ?

Try the Western Digital Data Life guard tests on the drive :- https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

#13 ·
Those messages are normal and the drive passed that test.

Can you use the drive now or is it still giving the 'item no longer on L' messages ?
Just to be clear you get that message when you try to save a file onto the drive ?

Try the Western Digital Data Life guard tests on the drive :- https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en
Hello,
Yes that's right I can't use the drive.
It's still giving me the same message
when I try to save a file onto the drive.

I ran the Western Digital Data Life guard Quick Run Test
and it passed the test.

Thank you

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.