Portable hard disk does not appear In My Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cullism

I have connected a portable hard drive to my computer via a USB cable. While it shows up in Device Manager as being Drive E: that drive does not appear in My Computer. As a consequence I have no access to it. I use it to back up my important files.

Is this a new device that has never been used? If so, you need to go to Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

cullism

No, I used this device for a number of years. I scheduled backups to run periodically but they eventually stopped running. In Disk Management it says "No Media".

The disk died. Good that you find out now rather than later; espcially when you need to restore.

First Name
Jim
What is the drive status in Windows Disk Management?

Also, the most common failure with external USB drives is the actual controller in the external enclosure (ie: the actual drive may still be in working condition). Assuming the drive is out of warranty, you could pull the actual HDD out of the enclosure and install it internally, via a USB adapter, or put it into another enclosure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online