1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Portable hard disk does not appear In My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cullism, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:10 PM.

Advertisement
  1. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I have connected a portable hard drive to my computer via a USB cable. While it shows up in Device Manager as being Drive E: that drive does not appear in My Computer. As a consequence I have no access to it. I use it to back up my important files.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is this a new device that has never been used? If so, you need to go to Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

3. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

No, I used this device for a number of years. I scheduled backups to run periodically but they eventually stopped running. In Disk Management it says "No Media".

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

The disk died. Good that you find out now rather than later; espcially when you need to restore.

5. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

Thanks Lunarlander. I wa afraid that might be the case.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What is the drive status in Windows Disk Management?

Also, the most common failure with external USB drives is the actual controller in the external enclosure (ie: the actual drive may still be in working condition). Assuming the drive is out of warranty, you could pull the actual HDD out of the enclosure and install it internally, via a USB adapter, or put it into another enclosure.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice