portable hard drive dropped

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kodiakcathy

External hard drive was accidentally dropped and unsafely unplugged by accident. Computer now states the device is working properly but it is not listed under device manager or in "my computer". I run Windows xp pro on a desk top dell.

It is most likely dead. Drives don't survive much of a fall. You will need to use your backup files.

You could try removing it from the case and connecting it internally to access it, but chances are slim that anything short of professional recovery ($100's to $1000's) will work.

remove it and connect it to your computer.

A hard drive can survive a fall if it falls flat or on it's side, but if it falls in an angle and the impact to the fall causes a sudden change in angle while the platters are still spinning then the head will hit the platter if the drive lacked built in free fall protection.

kodiakcathy

Thank you for an answer but I do not know how to connect it to my computer other than the usb connection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online