1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

portable hard drive is not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pscraja, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pscraja

pscraja Thread Starter

I have been using portable Toshiba ext hard drive model 593400 A for more than 4 years in my desk top operating in win xp prof sp3. When I connect the drive to my Sony vaio laptop operating on windows 7 home edition, the drive is not recognized.

How to open my toshiba drive in my laptop with win 7 home edition? It works without any difficulty in windows XP prof sp3. But not with windows 7

Kindly guide me. Thanks.

pscraja

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Right-click on "My Computer" and then select "Manage". Once it opens select "Disk Management". Look at the bottom of the middle pane. Find the external USB drive and assign it a letter that doesn't conflict with other devices on the laptop.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

How is it connected?
    Is the BIOS in the Laptop set up to recognise external drives? Are the ports enabled?

4. pscraja

pscraja Thread Starter

Right-click on "My Computer" and then select "Manage". Once it opens select "Disk Management". Look at the bottom of the middle pane. Find the external USB drive and assign it a letter that doesn't conflict with other devices on the laptop.

There is no pane visible showing the ext drive. It shows the pendrive and not the ext hard drive. Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------

How is it connected?
    Is the BIOS in the Laptop set up to recognise external drives? Are the ports enabled?

5. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! What do you see in devise manager?? Are there any yellow marks?? Not showing up in Disk Management it not a good sign. How does the ext HD get power?? Have you tried different USB ports?

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice