1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Portable Hard Drive Not Found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mommamoose, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mommamoose

mommamoose Thread Starter

I have 2 portable hard drives that show up in device manager but not windows explorer. I use Windows 7. They are both fairly new (less than a year old). One is a Seagate and the other Western. How can I at least get things off of them?

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Do they show in Windows Disk Management? If so, what is their status?

3. mommamoose

mommamoose Thread Starter

The Seagate doesn't I'll have to check the Western later. .

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If they are recognized as a drive, they should be in WDM.

The most common failure with external drives is the USB interface within the enclosure.

As these are apparently both less than a year old, they are likely under warranty. So I would recommended contacting the manufacturer and having them replaced.

Having said that, you could remove the actual HDD from the enclosure and install it internally, use a USB adapter, or use another enclosure. Assuming this is another USB interface failure, the drive is likely still functional. Just note my warning above concerning the warranty, as opening the case will VOID the warranty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice