1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

portable hard drive power alternative

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by erandalln, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erandalln

erandalln Thread Starter

I am going to download some shows from my DirecTV DVR the legal, old-fashioned way. Play at real-time speed through 3-pt RCA cable to an RCA-USB adapter to a portable hard drive. Problem: Supplying power to the hard drive if none is going to the USB port from the DVR through the old-style RCA output.
    My computer is too large to move and the DVR is almost in constant use (another reason to save the cartoons, cooking and woodworking shows before it dies), so a $80 portable drive is a better solution than moving the equipment.
    I could use some advice/education on this. Thank you.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need a computer somewhere in that equation.

3. erandalln

erandalln Thread Starter

Sure some kind of dock wouldn't work for the power problem? Just can't straight download TV data to a hard drive like a 'gi-normous' DVD-RW machine?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Power isn't the issue, the actual capture of video is.

5. erandalln

erandalln Thread Starter

Know of any cheap, sizeable, tuner-less, DVRs for sale? Or am I going to have to build my own? If so, where would I find the hardware I would need to put in the box for it to work right?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't understand what you're asking. You don't need another DVR. You have to connect your current DVR to a computer with a video capture device that allows you to play back the content and record it somehow.

Honestly, I don't even know if what you're asking is possible. DVR content is encrypted. But a computer with a capture device is your best shot. A simple hard drive or yet another DVR isn't going to do anything.

7. erandalln

erandalln Thread Starter

The situation is that DirecTV doesn't really want you to connect to a computer; we have grandkids, so the DVR's drive is filling up with cartoons and Sesame Street; when the drive hits 20% free space, it starts proactively deleting things w/o asking; and, when I upgrade the drive through the e-SATA port I will lose everything from the last two years, including how-to programs that no one sells yet. I just want a physically small solution that doesn't require my wife to learn how to run another computer system to watch TV.

8. erandalln

erandalln Thread Starter

I am missing is that a DVR is a hard drive, software, and video capture card in a box, aren't I? Guess I will be building my own. I won't call this solved, because someone may still want a $100 piece of hardware with $50 worth of manufacturing. If anyone knows of anything like that, buying would save me time while I build one. Thanks for responding, DoubleHelix.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yes, that's what a DVR is as well as a TV tuner. You've just described a computer, of sorts. It's much more than $150 worth of hardware and software.

You're right in that DirectTV doesn't want you to transfer programs from its DVRs. That's why your only viable option is to do video capture in real time. That requires a computer with a video capture device and software to record the input. Building a DVR is actually overkill for the situation and would cost much more than a simple capture device.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice