1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Portable Hard Drive Problem ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TooOld, Jun 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8001 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, -1920 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 935265 MB, Free - 835262 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire TC-605
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated and Enabled

I've been using DriveClone to back up my computer to a WD Elements portable USB hard drive for a couple of years and everything has worked great , until today . When I plug in the hard drive my computer doesn't see it and I can't do a backup . I tried a flashdrive in the usb port and it works okay . I checked in Device Manager and it shows the WD drive as working properly and the latest drive is installed . I even shut down my computer and unplugged it for 15 minutes then started it back up but it still doesn't see the WD hard drive .
    Do these portable drives just go bad like that ? Or is there something else I can check ?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You bet they fail.

Have you looked in Disk Management to see if it's there?

Also try the simple stuff first, try another computer, try another USB cable.

3. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

It's not in Disk Management but when I try a flashdrive it shows up in Disk Management , I guess the usb port is okay .
    I live alone and don't have another computer or cable to try . I can go to the library tomorrow and maybe be able to try it there .

4. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi TooOld,

I'm sorry to hear about such trouble with a WD device.
    As @Triple6 suggested, test the simple things first, and if possible provide a screenshot from disk management. Also, let us know if there is any important information, that does not have a copy, on the drive.
    You could check your warranty status here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=EcGakk

If there isn't any critical information on the drive you can run a diagnostic test and post the SMART status here (remove the SN of the drive from the screenshot as it is private information). You can use Data Lifeguard for the test, however, keep in mind that DLG does not show the RAW values and it would be nice to have a look at them. You can find the program here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=YSMKiy

Please, keep in mind, that if the disk is failing running a diagnostic test before recovering the data can lead to data corruption or loss.

Keep us posted,
    Frost_WD

5. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

At first it wasn't showing in Device Manager but it was in Devices and Printers so I clicked on 'Troubleshoot". It said the device had stopped responding and was "Fixed" . Now it shows in Device Manager as "Disk 2 Unknown - Not Initialized . I found directions at support.wdc.com to initialize the disk , but I received an error message as shown below .
    The drive has been working up till now so I guess it died , or it's a W8.1 issue .
    Thanks for your help .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

I also ran the Data Lifeguard and the disk doesn't show up there .
    [​IMG]
    I checked the warranty status and it expired on 2/29/16 . . . guess I'm out of luck .

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. DataBase

DataBase

many times with external devices, the issue you will have is the control board that converts the hard drives interface (Sata) to a USB interface. When this happens you can dismantle the external enclosure and remove the hard drive. This can then be slaved onto a machine by plugging it into a free Sata port on the motherboard and providing power from the PSU. This way you can retrieve your data.

Saying that, sometimes WD have interfaces on the hard drive which will not natively fit into a pc, you will need a convertor. If you are able to, dismantle the enclosure, take out the hard drive and take a picture of the interface and post it here.

Alternatively you can swap the enclosure or just the control board for a new one.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Indeed, dismantling the drive may have to be your next course of action. Which exact WD drive do you have?

9. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

It's a WD Elements 1 TB portable drive .
    I guess I don't see any advantage to taking it apart if I don't have any replacement parts on hand . I should also mention that I'm not too concerned about losing any data as this is not my only backup , I just hate to spend $$ on another if I don't need to .

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't parts to test, most external USB drives are just standard SATA drives that can be plugged directly into a SATA port inside a desktop computer.

11. TooOld

TooOld Thread Starter

I did a little research and I see what you mean about plugging it directly into the SATA port inside my desktop , that's something I will try later this week .
    I also did some comparison of a WD Passport Ultra to a Seagate Backup Plus and find that they are basically the same performance wise , but I read alot about reliability issues with the WD Passport . Do you have any opinion about these two drives ? I only ask because they are both on sale at Best Buy this week . Thanks .

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not really, they both work, they will both eventually fail.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice