1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Portable hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hddprob, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

The other day whilst backing up my computer to my portable hard drive for the first time, my flatmate disconnected my hard drive accidentally.

Now when I connect my hard drive to my computer (Vista Ultimate 64-bit) or any other computer (I've tried XP, Vista 32-bit and 7 64-bit), a balloon pops up from the notification area saying that the new hardware is being installed. It then says that it was successfully install and is ready to use. However, the hard drive does not appear under windows explorer.

When I open device manager I can find the hard drive and it says it is working properly. When I open computer managment and then go to disk management it says that disk 2 (the hard disk) is not initialized. When I right click it and select initialize, it asks me what partition style is on the disk (master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style). No matter what one I select (I've tried both) I get a pop up saying there is an error.

How do I initialize and access/retrieve the information on my hard drive? If this isn't a possibility, how do I reformat the entire hard drive so that I can use it again? At the moment its useless to me.

If you need any more info, please just ask! Thanks in advance.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Disconnecting any storage device while it is being written to runs the risk of scrambling the file table. You may have to return the drive to original factory state and set it up as new again.

As a first and least troublesome attempt, I recommend you go into disk management, delete all logical drives and partitions, restart the computer and use disk management again to set up the hard disk.

Be aware this will destroy all data on the drive. If you have important data on the drive, I would suggest a RAW data recovery first.

3. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
  4. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

It's just a standard IDE hard drive, connected via USB. Details are as follows:

Western Digital 500Gb Hard Drive
    Model: WDBAAR5000ABK

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

5. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

How do I take these steps to return the disk to original formatting if I can't initialize the disk under disk management? Any help would be appreciated.

It seems like a cyclical problem: I can't repair the partition table without initializing the disk but I can't initialize the disk because the partition table is so messed up the computer can't recognize its original format...

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I think you might have a better chance if you remove the disk from the enclosure and connect it internally to a desktop computer via an IDE cable.

7. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

Alright. I'll give it a go...

8. Stisfa

Stisfa

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice