1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Portable Hard Drive troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hightemplar, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hightemplar

hightemplar Thread Starter

I have a portable Hard Drive designed for a 2.0 port. I used it on a computer with a 1.0 port. I was moving a pretty sizable amount of data and it took awhile, especially since a 2.0 device works slowly in a 1.0 port. The problem is that now, the computer no longer reads the drive, though it recognizes something's been plugged in. The drive itself makes a strange clicking sound whenever I try to use it. Is there any way to fix it? What's wrong with it? And does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to either fix this one or get a new drive if need be?

2. prime2515102

prime2515102

A clicking hard drive is a very bad sign - its most likely toast.

You can check the manufactuer's web site to see if they have any diagnostic software (or perhaps it came with something - a floppy or CD).

If the drive is dead, its possible you can open it up and replace it with just about any hard drive (these usually have ordinary 3.5" desktop drives inside them, sometimes 2.5" notebook drives). Can you post the make and model number?

If you can't swap the drive out then it'll run about $60 (for a 20GB) on up - OR - you can purchase an external enclosure (these start at about $20) and a regular hard drive (they start at about $30-$40 for a 40GB for OEM [same as retail, but don't come with accessories - which you won't need]). 2.5" drives tend to be quite a bit more expensive given the same capacity (about $65 on up for a 20-30GB drive only - no enclosure).

Note: The prices I quoted are from online resellers and will most likely be much higher buying locally.

Prime

3. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

*** LOL posting at around the same time as you prime251... ***

Connect yar drive to yar PC , power on & dont let the Operating System start by entering the BIOS (usually pressing the del key after power-on) or interrupt Windows boot by pressing F8.
    If the drive still makes a clicking sound , its broken & there's nothing much ya can do.

If ya dont have any warranty , ya can open-up the USB drive , remove the physical drive , take it to a shop & maybe get a nice price on a new drive.

4. prime2515102

prime2515102

lol :D

Prime

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We call that The Click Of Death, and it's normally fatal. :)

6. DBelton

DBelton

Yep.. Usually fatal. I've only had 1 drive in over 25 years that didn't completely die not long after that fatal click.

My suggestions would be to contact manufacturer. Sometimes even if the drive is out of warranty, they will replace it. I've had that happen to me before on drives that had known problems, like the IBM Deskstar GXP 75's (The Deathstar). I had 6 of them that IBM (now Hitatchi) replaced with GXP 180's after the warranty period of 5 years was up.

If they don't replace it, then the other suggestions to open the case and replace the drive inside are the best ones. You can get a plain drive cheaper than a complete replacement USB drive.

The bad thing is that a lot of drive tools won't work on a USB drive, so you're limited as to what you do to try and fix it. Possibly you can find something that will let you grab your data off of it before trashing it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/338503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice