1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Portforwarding woes

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ev0lutionz, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ev0lutionz

Ev0lutionz Thread Starter

Ok, i am really pissed off about portforwarding when i have done the steps followed in http://www.portforward.com

I am trying to portforward wc3, which uses the port 6112. I have set up a static local ip in my other com, added the port 6112 in both TCP and UDP in my windows firewall, portforwarded in my linksys router, after that i ran a port check, and What the ****, the port is still not fcking open, so whats the problem here?

Btw my router is a linksys wrt54g, firmware is stock firmware.

2. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

Okay, I have had a lot of issues with these in the past. Three issues that you want to check for.

1) make sure that there is a firewall rule to permit access to the internal IP on 6112
    2) make sure that the proper gateway is set on the PC with the static IP.
    3) not suree what OS is running on the PC with the static IP, but make sure that there is no firewall on the local PC that is blocking the access.

Oh and remember that you are better checking this port is open on Shields Up! or some other online tool than checking from the internal network. For you to be able to connect in to this port on the public IP, from a PC on the local network, will require that you have a thing called NAT loopback set up on the router.

Hope this helps.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Ev0lutionz, please lose the profanity.

4. Ev0lutionz

okay sorry=( was really pissed that i cant get this port to open.. Uhh so is a dynamic ip okay for portforwarding? I just wanna host some wc3 games on bnet.

5. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

Not really, if the host picks up a different IP the next time it boots (which is unlikely but could happen), then you would have to change all of the port forwarding and firewall rules. Just give the thing a static IP, so that you dont have to worry about it.

6. Ev0lutionz

Uhh so i give a static ip via network connections in my OS? Using xp btw

7. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

Yeah,
    Control Panel | Network Connections | LAN Connection | TCP/IP | Properties.

Then set it to have a static IP on the local network. Just make sure that no other device is using the IP address and that the IP address is not going to be used by DHCP.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!