1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ports and protocols

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by markoz12, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markoz12

markoz12 Thread Starter

I have recently fitted a Belkin Wireless G router.
    I have had some problems with my chat programs (MSN and Yahoo) where some of my friends replies have not come through.
    I spoke to the help section of Belkin and they need to know the Port Number and Protocols of the chat programs. They would then enable me to open the ports as they are blocked by the router.
    I have tried to contact both MSN and Yahoo but no joy.
    How can I find this information out other than keep trying to contact MSN and Yahoo?
    I hope someone might help.
    Thank you in advance.
    Regards.

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

First off, you got very poor help from Belkin (n) Most likely because you were talking to a non-tech Help Desk person (aka only know how to read his prompter screen). True Belkin technicians would know the answer.

I Goggled your questions and got the following hits but I cannot confirm validity:

MSN--------------------------------

"MSN use TCP port 1863 as default login port. If 1863 is invalid, it will try to use port 80. MSN can also connect via a proxy server."

Messenger server: port 1493, 1542, 1863, 1963, 80 TCP and 443 TCP
    File Transfer/Sharing Folders: local: 1544 and 6891 - in fact 6720-65535 TCP from one source
    Messenger Update: remote: 80 local: 1457
    Remote Assistance If available): 3389 TCP
    Audio: local: , 1556, 11771, 13803 and generally 5004-65535 UDP
    Remote Desktop and whiteboard: local/remote: 389, 522, 1503, 1720, and 1731
    Launching Games: 80
    Video Conference: TCP 9000-9999, 5004-65535 UDP + 80
    Sign-In: remote: 443 local: 1484, 2400

YAHOO-------------------------------------------------

Ports Yahoo! Messenger uses!
    Client Access is where your PC initiates the connection, sends a request, and receives replies.
    Server Access is where you PC takes requests from another system or systems.
    Standard Connection & Yahoo! Chat
    Port TCP80 (HTTP): Client access to Port 80 to receive roomlists, and insider news.
    Port TCP5050: Client access for the Yahoo! Messenger & Yahoo! Chat connection.
    File Transfer
    Port TCP80 (HTTP): Server & Client access to Port 80 to share files. If this is a problem (you already run webserver) you can change to another appropriate port.
    Voice Chat
    Port UDP/TCP5000-5010: Client access to Ports 5000-5010. If UDP access fails, it will try TCP. So enable both.
    Webcam
    Port TCP5100: Client access to Port 5100 to receive webcams. Server access on Port 5100 to allow p2p cam sessions may be required.
    P2P Instant Messages
    Port TCP5101: P2P instant messages may occur. For this, server access on Port 5101 is required!

3. markoz12

markoz12 Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. I just got it. I had some luck (just before I headed for work). My son found a possible answer on a bulletin board.
    It meant accessing the Belkin options via a website address and changing a setting my settings screen.
    I changed the UPNP from Disable to Enable. It seemed to do the trick.

4. tecknomage

tecknomage

I'm not familiar with Belkin routers, but my DSL Modem settings are actually accessed via a specific IP using IE. The IP is actually a MAC address (Machine Access Code) which all network related hardware have. MACs are hard-coded in the hardware to identify it.

But I can also go through my providers site, my account, and do the same thing. Of course they have my DSL Modem's MAC, so they are just sending the changed settings back to the modem. I prefer the direct approach.

FYI - WinXP uses the MAC of your Network Card to setup your Network Connection in the first place.

5. markoz12

markoz12 Thread Starter

I wish these things were easier to deal with!
    I appreciate your help. So far all is OK.
    Regards,
    ]Mark.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice