1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ports closed after forwarding, before timed out

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nessos, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nessos

Nessos Thread Starter

Hi I have a problem trying to forward ports needed for steam: my connection to internet looks like this Cisco epc3212 cable modem -> netgear wnr3500v2 ->my pc, all via ethernet cable I set up static ip for my pc and forwarded ports in router but after checking results on web port scanners it only changed from timed out to closed. I have no firewalls, neither on my pc or router, i called my isp and they told me they don't block any ports. I have windows 7. After trying dmz all my ports remain closed except for 3389 which is remote access for windows. I.ve been working on this for past few hours and i'm loosing my mind :). Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know why Cisco calls it a modem and I could find no decent manual, but the epc3212 is a "VoIP" modem, which means that it includes a router I'm pretty sure. To be sure look at the WAN IP obtained by your Netgear router. Is it your public IP address or a private address?

3. Nessos

Nessos Thread Starter

@TerryNet
    It is definatelly a modem, netgear is getting an public ip (and my isp told me that there's no settings inside cisco, it just forwarding everything).

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, sorry for the bad info. :(

You said that you "have no firewalls." Does this mean you have the Windows 7 firewall disabled? If so, try with it enabled and open the appropriate ports (you may be able to just tell it to open ports for "Steam").

5. Nessos

Nessos Thread Starter

I tried with firewall enabled and it didn,t worked. Now i connected modem directly to my other pc with win xp and no firewall and got ports closed as well, but...
    ive installed filezilla on this pc and i can change the port it listening on, i tried changing from 21 to various others, and when it's listening the port is open (i check listening in netstat, filezilla port is the only port being listened). Is there a way to make other ports being listened?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Programs listen to ports. So, you have to run whatever program is involved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice