1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ports For VPN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NicholasM, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NicholasM

NicholasM Thread Starter

I am new to setting up a VPN on home/office computer (XP Prof) ....router on both ends....Is there a specific port that must be opened and forwarded on my router for it to work?...If so please let me know what port?

I followed a simple tutorial and "think" I have it set up correctly to accept incoming connects but wont connect and thought maybe requires an open port...

Thanks for any help or guidance

Nick

2. cpuhack.com

cpuhack.com

What router is on both ends? More specifically, what VPN protocol are you trying to use? If you are using the built-in Windows XP Pro VPN server (or any other PPTP VPN gateway) you need the following opened:

Prot 47
    TCP 1723

If you're trying to setup L2TP or IPSec it's going to be a bit more involved to explain... ;)

3. BillC

BillC

And if there are firewalls involved, they too need to be configured properly. Make sure the machines are put in the trusted zone.

4. NicholasM

NicholasM Thread Starter

I have a linksys router...Im trying to use the built in server on xp professional..I opened port 1723..seemed to connect (not sure) but could not see any resources?

THanks for the help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice