Ports in RealVNC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

renegade X

My boss says it is okay to remote into my home PC from work (as long as I am not web surfing). But the port is blocked, assuming this since I can not ping my home PC from work either. I could remote in from my old job, so the probs from new job's firewall.

My question to you is, if I change the port from the RealVNC server side, where does that leave the client side? Does it use that port that is set on the server/host side?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I thought there was an option in the Viewer but I dont see it. so all you have to do is put a colon and port number at the end of the address.
example.
192.168.0.1:3390

renegade X

Oh cool, I didnt know I could do that. However, changing back to the default port, I can not even remote in from my neighbors house. Ping goes through though. When I added, then removed the check mark for file print sharing, something changed, but what?

BTW I am not using a router and the firewall is turned off.

On the host computer side (the one you want to connect to) you need to set up port forwarding (NAT) on their router to allow incoming connections to the PC behind the router.

renegade X

Thats the thing, I am not using a router. ICS. I am going to reinstall and see if anything changes, but I doudt it will since I added that check mark, something changed.:confused:

Are you trying to connect to a PC behind ICS? You have to be using a router of some sort if you are using broadband (DSL, Cable) and that router has NAT configuration settings.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
On UltraVNC, you just put the IP address then a : and the port number. If you have multiple servers you want to access on a single public IP address, say behind a router, the logical screen number is added to the port number. I presume RealVNC works pretty much the same way.

renegade X

Good thought, but I am past connecting to a PC in an ICS network.(http://forums.techguy.org/networking/413337-remote-connection-pc-network.html)

This is something that I had no problems with until I removed the check mark in the highlighted area in the image below. This is for the connection on my NAT server;

I added the checkmark back, eventhough I know it makes my network vulnerable. Make cahnges took affect when I removed this check mark? Come on JohnWill, I know you have something up your sleve.:D

My network config is as follows.

Broadband cable modem to NIC on Nat server
Second NIC on NAT server to switch
Switch to other PCs

You have to be using a router of some sort
Basically, my NAT server IS the router, so in a since I do have a router. LOL

renegade X

LOL JohnWill.
How about the DOS command to clear network configuration? What is that command?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This one?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online