1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ports not being forwarded by router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dirk Gently, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dirk Gently

Dirk Gently Thread Starter

Hi everybody. I remember finding a lot of help here with a related issue a few months ago, so I thought I'd come back... I have 2 computers networked with a Netgear RP614 router. The setup is very simple, both computers are connected to the LAN ports of the router with ethernet cables, then another cable connects the WAN port of the router to a cable modem. Although I don't think it matters, one computer runs Windows 2000 and the other runs Windows XP. The 2000 computer has a local IP 192.168.0.2, the XP one has 192.168.0.3, and the router uses 192.168.0.1.

So anyway, the problem. Internally, "below" the router, any services I have available are accessible from either computer. For example, FTP on the 2000 computer. connecting to 127.0.0.1:21 works (of course)... 192.168.0.2:21 works... but (myinternetip):21 does not work. (I am certain of the addresses.) By accessing http://192.168.0.1 I can check the router settings, and modify the port forwarding settings. I added FTP exactly as it directed (Service Name: FTP. Start Port: 21. End Port: 21. Server IP Address: 192.168.0.2). It STILL doesn't work (everything has been fully restarted many times). It seems as if it is simply ignoring the port forwarding settings. I even set 192.168.0.2 as the "Default DMZ Server" (which should make EVERY port available!) and activated "Respond to ping on Internet WAN Port" with no change. Any ideas? :confused:

P.S. Oh, and it works fine if I connect the 2000 computer directly to the cable modem... just thought i'd add that....

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are you running any firewall software on the PC itself? If you cannot access the WAN IP address for FTP it is still not set up correctly on the router or something like a firewall or your ISP is blocking the service.

3. Dirk Gently

It's not a problem with my ISP or the computer itself; I know this because I (and anyone else I give my IP to) can connect easily if the computer is directly connected to the modem (so it isn't an ISP problem), and the other computer (192.168.0.3) can connect (so it isn't a problem with 192.168.0.2). I'm sure the problem is the router... but beyond that, I don't know :(

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Have you tried a Firmware upgrade. I have had this solve many issues with my D-Link router in the past. Upgraded to the latest firmware and boom, everything has worked fine since.

5. Dirk Gently

Hey, thanks, good idea! Didn't think of that. I'll give it a shot.

6. Dirk Gently

Thanks, but no effect! I installed the latest firmware and restarted everything, same exact problem. Any other ideas?

7. Squashman

You dont necessarily need the port number with the IP address. I am just wondering if the Router is getting confused by using the port number with the IP address. You usually specify a port number when running a service on a different port then it usually runs on. Sometimes you will see webservers running on port 81 or 8080.

On my Dlink router there is a special setting on it if I am running a FTP server on a port other than 21. If I dont have that checked, it dont work. It is a setting separate from the Port forwarding.

I also found this about my D-Link Router and I think it applies to your router as well because at the bottom it says Note: You will not be able to use an active connection through most NAT routers.

Anyone accessing your server from outside your router will need to set ther FTP Clients to Passive instead of Active. I think this is where your problem is.

8. Squashman

I was also reading on the D-Link support page that they want ports 20 and 21 to be opend up for FTP. I dont know why, maybe you should also look into that for your router.

9. coulterp

coulterp

Have a look at the site

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

(entitled "Active FTP vs. Passive FTP, a Definitive Explanation") which gives a good explanation of active and passive FTP and the use of ports 20 and 21.

HTH.

10. Dirk Gently

I tried including and not including the port number with the IP when it was running on port 21, and i also tried a random port (902) just for the heck of it. neither one worked. Passive vs. Active might be the problem with FTP, so I'll try testing it with a client set in each mode when i get a chance, and I'll specifically open 20 also (although it should be available anyway). That's not the main problem though, I'm sure, because a web server running on port 80 does not work at all from the outside (works fine from the "inside"). The only other settings that could apply are the setting for the "default DMZ server" (i have this set to the computer with the problem and there still isn't any difference) and "Respond to ping on WAN port" (i have this set too). I had the same problem as these with an SSH server on the computer a while ago, so it is definitely not service-specific. Is there a chance this is a built-in problem with the router itself?

11. Squashman

I would say if you router is not forwarding Port 22 correctly to your server then there is definitely something wrong with your router. Either RMA your current router or buy another one to test everything with. Home based Routers are so cheap these days. My D-Link 704p has been pretty rock solid since I upgraded the firmware on it. Been running pretty solid for 6 months. I also have Belkin as a backup.

12. Dirk Gently

%@#^ing thing won't let me use my warranty unless i can "prove my original date of purchase" and i threw away my receipt months ago. Oh well. Maybe customer support will be able to get it working (although I seriously doubt it). What do you mean by RMA, and what router would you recommend? (besides Netgear RP614, ha ha...ha..)

13. Squashman

RMA (Return Material Authorization) basically meaning, using your warranty. Most vendors call it an RMA.

Can you get a copy of your receipt from where you bought. I know like on Newegg and Googlegear, I could always go back and look at my past purchases online. If it was an online purchase they may be able to help you with that.

Everyone has there own favorite Routers. I like my D-Link 704p because it acts as a print server for my HP LaserJet 5p. It works great.

14. Dirk Gently

I bought it "in person" at Staples... I don't remember if they asked me anything, but I guess i could check if they have information. Thanks for your help!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice