1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possessed Trackball Mouse Pointer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slade979, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slade979

Slade979 Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my mouse (Details: Trackball,Dell Logitech brand ,ps/2 connected, Winxp. Dell computer 1year old). The problem is intermittent at worst so I decided to post here before I did anything. For the past couple of days after a few hours of activity my mouse pointer begins to jump up erratically to the top of the screen I can barely control it just enough to open other programs like the trouble shooter for the mouse. The problem usually stops after about 15 - 30 minutes. Sometimes the problem is shorter. System restore has done nothing to resolve the issue. A fully updated Norton Anti virus finds nothing after full system scan but, strangely when I open the troubleshooter for the mouse and try to open the task manager from one of the links in the troubleshooter Norton warns me that "script blocking has detected suspicious activity". Norton's log ends with the following FILE:HelpCtr.exe, OBJECT:File System Object, ACTIVITY: Get Special Folder. I was previously hijacked by cool web about a week ago but as far as I can tell cwshredder and a system restore cleaned that out pretty thoroughly. My logs on Hijack This, Adaware and Spybot don't appear to have changed since before the mouse problem. My background processes on Task Manager don't look suspicious. Is this strictly a hardware problem? Should I uninstall/reinstall the device driver for the mouse (I was planning on a new optical mouse anyway)? This is really an annoyance! Any help on either the hardware or software front would be appreciated...Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice