1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible bad core help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by papayrus, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. papayrus

papayrus Thread Starter

I have an amd triple core athlon 445. I unlocked the 4th core over a year ago and its been running fine since. Just recently I noticed it would lock up if the cpu went to high usage.

I got hwmonitor and hwinfo and checked the temps they were fine accept that one of the core temps was very low at 22 degrees celsius. I stress tested the cpu with prime95 and intel burn test. It locks up within a few minutes running either. So I went into my bios and disabled the processor manually that was staying at 22 degrees celsius.

Just to let you know it was not the unlocked core that was at 22 degrees celsius it was one of the main 3 cores because I also ran many tests with default bios settings as triple core.

So I unlocked the 4th core and manually locked the core that is stuck at 22 degrees and it passes all the stress tests and no more freezing. Is this possible that one of the cores went bad and that it will be fine doing what I did by manually disabling that core?

Is there anything else that could cause that cores temp to stick at 22 degrees?

2. dai

dai

they usually come with a 3yr warranty

if it is under warranty rma it

3. papayrus

papayrus Thread Starter

Yeah I will try to do that I still have the receipt. I was just wondering though if you ever heard of one core in a multicore processor going bad and if you ever knew of anyone who just disabled that core and went along fine using there computer without any more problems. Seems to be working fine here after disabling the one bad core manually in the bios.

4. dai

dai

i have asked someone who has knowledge of amd to have a look at the thread when they come online

5. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

It may be possible although I've never had a failed core. What are the temps of the other cores when it's at 22c? When you unlock cores it does mess with temp readings. Try reverting back to it's origional settings and I'm sure the 3 cores will read properly. Also with it unlocked open Task Manager/performance and run a cpu test and see if all cores are working.

6. papayrus

papayrus Thread Starter

I did make it default in bios the one core still shows as 22c. So I unlocked the forth hidden core and disabled the bad core and its running fine now. The other temps all read right around 40 to 45c when stress testing the cpu while the one remains as 22c with or without stress testing and bios set to default or not. I cannot see the forth unlocked core temp in HWInfo tool or HWMonitor but I do see all 4 cores in msconfig. I have this PC on windows xp and did not try looking for the cores in task manager. Just checked the performance tab when stressing to make sure it was running at 100%. Does xp show the separate cores I know windows 7 and 8 does? Also is there a temp tool that will show the temp of the 4th unlocked core as well?

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

As I said, when you unlock cores it does not read the temps as it should. In task manager/performance click on the view tab on the top and select Cpu History and select one graph per cpu to see all cores.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice