1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible bad hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobbyandalina, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbyandalina

bobbyandalina Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Dell xps m1530...when i turn on my comp it says no bootable devices strike f1 to reboot which doesn't work. F2 for setup utility and F5 to run onboard diagnostics. F2 works but doesn't help and F5 just says message error code 2000-1046. I cannot go to any other screens at all. Sounds like a bad hard drive. I have a seagate 160, but i sthere anyway to fix this or do i just need to bite the bullet and get a new hard drive? Oh F5 does show hard drive -previous errors

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Determine the brand of hard disk. Go to the manufacturer's site and download their testing utility. Run extended/thorough test and let us know your result.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Tip: Dell does not manufacture any computer parts. They only assemble them.

4. bobbyandalina

Thank you Alex for your reply!!! Unfortunately my laptop will not go any further than that page that shows F1, F2, and F5 so I cannot get to any website at all. I went to Best Buy and bought a hard drive, same manufacturer Seagate and the guy with geek squad said it should fit. It did fit fine but once I installed the hard drive my computer went to the same screen. I inserted a windows operating disk and it started to load it but it still seems to not read the disk.
    I went to run onboard diagnostics and it said cable failure, but in F2 or set up mode it did recognize the hard drive as I went from a 160 gb to a 250 and in the set up utility menu it did say 250 gb hdd detected. Could this mean there is simply something loose or disconnected in my computer and a new hard drive is not needed? It's not that old, maybe 2 years.....what can I do as I desperately need my computer for work and school.

Thank you

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I guess I just will never cease to be surprised that people come here for help and then ignore the advice given. If you did, indeed, follow the advice given in my first post, what was the result? If you didn't I can't help you. If you did, and don't give me the result, I cannot help you further.

6. bobbyandalina

Hello Alex,
    I didn't ignore your advice, my hard drive is Seagate, but I cannot get to any websites using my laptop at all. Can I use another computer to get the results for my laptop? Thank you

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There are instructions in their site how to use the testing utility. I clearly understand your laptop will not run; but, you obviously have access to another computer and that is the computer you would use to download the testing utility and create the necessary CD for the test.

Use of the testing utility and reporting back your result may have prevented an unnecessary purchase and wasted time.

I realize you are desperate to get it running ASAP; but, you've already lost a full day. Being in a hurry often takes more time than a methodical approach.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice