Possible bad power supply?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vizyn

Ok, so here's the scenario:

I've had this PC with the same hardware for the past year, no changes to the hardware whatsoever. I've been at college with the PC all semester and hadn't had ANY problems with it. I brought it home in the car and upon returning home I encounter a problem. While windows is loading the screen flickers and I hear a soft but high-pitched squeal come from my power supply(or at least thats where it sounds like its coming from). The PC then reboots. After coming across the Windows XP loading screen(before login, the one with the bar across the bottom), right when the graphics load I hear the sound and it reboots again. It does this in circular fashion about 7-8 times, and then it loads fine. I was then able to use the PC normally for the next 12 hours or so. After waking up in the morning I move my mouse to turn the monitor back on and I hear the sound, and it reboots... it again starts the circular rebooting. Basically, what causes it to do the initial reboot is random.. the only consistency is when I am coming back from having the PC be idle(the monitor turns off but thats it) and when I initialize an application after being idle. Those are the most consistent times the rebooting starts. But it is completely random otherwise. Its gotten to a point where now sometimes it will start to make the noise and not reboot, sometimes the screen will flicker and it will continue on, and sometimes it will reboot. I've played 3-4 hours of intensive high-end graphics games with no problems. I've made sure all 4 fans in the box are working, there should be no reason the thing is overheating(but I guess its not impossible). At first I thought it was due to a loose connection, like something was joggled loose during the transfer from school-> home, or that dust or something had caused hardware to have issues, so I cleaned it out. Another noise that it makes that sounds different than before is it sometimes sounds like there is something in the fan on the PSU (almost sounds like a pebble). Other than that, nothing has changed. Could it be the PSU? I just don't understand how I can get random bursts of 12-24 hours with no problems and then all of a sudden reboot 10 times in 5 minutes. Anyways, thanks to anyone who has read this I appreciate your time.

Joe

if you need hardware info i.e. PSU wattage/system specs let me know

That would be my first guess, would be the PS. Your system will use more power on boot than any other time would explain why it does it on boot.

I would turn off the PC, open it up, put my ear in there, turn the system on and try to find out if the noise is from the PSU or not.

crjdriver

You may have a ps that is failing, however since you moved the system you might have something loose. Open the case and reseat all connectors ie molex, ribbon cables, sata cables, etc. In addition reseat the ram and all cards.

While you are in the case, give it a complete cleaning with a can of air. Use the air to blow out the slots for the ram, cards, etc when you reseat them.

vizyn

I tried reseating/cleaning everything out.. no luck. The noise I described earlier that sounded like a pebble or something sounds more like a consistent spark. It seems like its gotten worse today as I have not gotten a boot to last more than a few minutes.

crjdriver

Do not use it any longer. If the power supply fails, it can take out other parts as well. Just replace the ps with a quality unit. I use antec, enermax, coolmax, enlight or sparkle. There are other good brands, however those are what I use. Best "bang for the buck" would be enlight. They are about the cheapest one I will install.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online