1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

possible bad system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mto9269488, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mto9269488

mto9269488 Thread Starter

I just bought a new barebones system two weeks ago and it is not wroking right.I got the case+PS,motherboard,RAM,FD,processor, and windows xp from directron.I put in my own Hard Drive,DVD-ROM drive,CD-RW Drive,Sound Card And video card.I put in all the hardware and had the first problem.When the bios went to recognise the drives, it would not find my hard drive.This was frustrating but after some work I got past that problem.Apparently,it would not recognise the hard drive on a controller by itself.I had to put the DVD-ROM drive as a slave to it for it to be recognised.Went the next day to install windows and had another problem.During the Bios memory check there were several steady beeps then silence .when it finished to go and boot the drives the beeps came back and then beacme one solid beep(like a flatline sound on a heart monitor.I think this one might have been caused by a loose keyboard cable because when i checked all the cables(inside and Outside) it was a little loose.The beeping went away and i was able to format the hard drive and install windows xp.I used the system for a few days without really pushing it too hard.I then went to install all my programs.Nero Burning rom 5.5 installed and ran without a hitch.So did madden 2002,Deer Hunter 2,Kazaa,and a few others.When i went to install MusicMatch 7.0 I encountered problems.When I go to rip a cd, the program will crash about halfway through the process.Just to check,I tried to rip the same cd in Creative PlayCenter which came with my sound card.It did not even get as far before it crashed.I also have problems with several Applications that came with sound card.Another problem is when I go to play DVD Movies.It will run for a few minutes then crash.I hve built at least 20 Differemt systems in my life and never had this many problems with one.I paid over a thousand dollars for all this hardware.Even if it can run most of my programs, it is not worth it if it cannot perform basic functions like rip cds into mp3 or play dvds.Any advice on how to fix these problems would be grately appreciated.If you think this might be a bad bare bones,Any suggestions on what I should set to replace it with if I have to return it Would also be appreciated.Here are the specs of this system:

Asus AZV266 Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP Palomino 1700PR,1.47 GHz processor
    756 megs 266 MHz DDR Ram (3 256 strips w/ cooling kit)
    300 watt power supply
    Antec Quiet Jet Cool Premium CPU Cooler
    100 Gigabyte 7200 RPM western digital hard drive
    Buslink 16x DVD-ROM drive
    Buslink 24x CD-RW drive
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platnium Sound Card
    32 megabyte Riva tnt2 AGP video card(Temporary solution until I could get an All-IN WONDER Radeon 8500)
    Linksys 10/100 network card

Hope this information helps and I hope you can help me.

2. B3gbie

B3gbie

Don't know a lot about XP, but you need to make sure sound has it's own interrupt normally, (device manager, properties whilst computer highlighted). Also, check your software compatability with xp, it's based on 2000 and a lot of my stuff wouldn't work on 2000. Hope this is of some use to you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice