1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Possible broken fan, what can i do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by infralow, Aug 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. infralow

infralow Thread Starter

So a few hours ago i noticed a weird noise, long story short i figured out it was my pc and specifically that it was coming from one of the fans in my pc (the one at the front of the pc which is blowing inwards) and after opening it up everything seems fine but when i manually slow it down, the noise stops and if i slightly tap my pc the fan speeds up and the noise starts. it's louder when i start my pc and makes like a grinding noise, but after my pc has been on for a few minutes it gets quieter but still not like it was yesterday. it sounds to me like it's slowing and speeding up constantly and struggling to work properly. it's currently like a quiet grinding noise although earlier it was louder and another time it was clicking. the inside of my pc is clean from dust as i only dusted it about a month ago and i can see through the side panel that there's barely any dust in there. my pc is not hot, it's slightly warm as it usually is and it was brand new a year ago. so basically is my fan broken, does it just need some lube putting on it maybe? or could it be something in my pc that's causing my fan to speed up. since it's at the front of the pc blowing inwards, could i just remove it and still use my pc? it has 3 other fans in it which are much closer to the main parts of the pc. oh also if i tilt my pc putting the back end in the air the fan gets louder and if i tilt it the opposite way it gets quieter. If anybody knows what type of fan this is, like what it's for that would be appreciated too.

2. replay

replay

No one can tell without a pic or some details about your pc
    U can do without a front intake fan if u have at least one exhaust fan ( u say u have 3)
    If you have a gaming computer a front fan would be a good idea
    As for changing it out..... it’s probably a 120mm fan which are cheap and easy to swap out
    Go on YouTube to see how easy it is
    Look for your case make/model
    Or the computer make/model
    Also you can peel the center sticker on the fan and apply a tiny amount of oil
    Done that before.....

3. infralow

infralow Thread Starter

thanks and yeah i read about that oil thing, but under the sticker i think there's wires in there and was hoping not to do that. it's a gaming pc but i don't do much on it tbh, and the fan blows air from outside to inside, the others blow either a part of the pc or blow air out.

4. infralow

infralow Thread Starter

i've just taken it out, much better

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice