1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible Computer Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brvsfn01, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Hi All:

I am looking to do a couple of things to my computer, an older Dell T3400 Workstation. The computer has Windows 7 Pro for the OS, is running a quad core Q6600 CPU, has 4 gigs (in 1 gig strips) of DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM and a NVidia Quattro graphics card with dual DVI outputs and it is the newer DVI with the higher bandwidth.

I want to upgrade the RAM and also the video card and I think I can do both for around $200.00 but I am not sure which to upgrade first. I want to go with either 6 or 8 gigs of RAM and use the fastest available, the DDR2 PC2-8500 RAM.

From what I understand my video card is a middle of the road video card and I am looking at upgrading to something like the NVidia 7800 or 8800 series video card.

From what I have written what is the better option for me to upgrade first, the RAM or the video card? Also, any input on my choices will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Abriam26

Abriam26

RAM should be an okay upgrade, but first check the max. speed of the RAM -> which PC2xxxx speed it has maximally supported.
    Also check the max. supported RAM by your motherboard. (You can look it up on the manufacturers website)
    You are probably able to put an PC8500 in your computer, but your motherboard might not support the RAM's max speed. So it's a waste of money. (It will automatically clock down, if your motherboard doesn't support the max.)

Video card upgrades are okay as well.
    I think nothing can go wrong. Just make sure your Power Supply can handle it. :)
    So that it can provide enough wattage for the whole system..
    There might be better ATI(AMD)-based video cards.. or even better Nvidia video card for that price.
    Take a look here: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

(Notice :a PCI-e 3.0 videocard is backwards compatible on the PCI-e 2.0 card slot)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What do you use the computer for and what is your intention with the upgrades?

There is no Quadro 7800 or 8800 cards, there are Geforce 7800 and 8800 series cards but they date back to 2007 and would be a bad buy. Quadro cards are the professional series while the Geforce cards are the consumer and gaming class cards.

The T3400 does support up to 16GB of RAM and speeds of up to PC2-8500: http://www.crucial.com/uk/upgrade/D...ion/Precision+Workstation+T3400-upgrades.html
    Going from 4GB to 6GB doesn't seem sensible to me as it's a pretty small increase, to make it worthwhile I'd at least double it if the upgrade is necessary.

You must have 64-bit version of Windows installed to use 4 or more gigabytes of RAM.

4. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Abriam26 & Triple6:

Thanks for your responses. I did mean GeForce video cards not Quattro.

I think for now I am going to skip the RAM upgrade and drop in a video card. I did some research last night on the video card in my computer and while it has a 350 Mhz RAMDAC it only has 128 Megs of video RAM so it is getting a new video card and then maybe later a RAM upgrade.

Thanks also for the comment on the ATI Radeon video cards. I had forgotten about them and I did read in a video card test that the ATI Radeon cards have a video palette that is more suited to and offers better and truer color representations for photography than the GeForce cards and are much preferred by photographers. Since I take hundreds of photos I will be seriously investigating ATI Radeon cards. If you would care to make some suggestions I am certainly open to them.

Thanks again!

5. Abriam26

Abriam26

Wise decision.
    You're welcome :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice