Possible dns issue/or gaming server

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xtrchessreal

Good day to you:

In the last few weeks the house hold has been losing wireless connections while wired connections stay up and running.

I suspect its my nephew who insists on leaving the router open as in no security - no mac filtering - no wep - wpsk etc. since he allows gamers to access his computer used as a server. Of course nephew is connected to via wired ethernet and we are all wireless. We all seem to lose connections at the same time. I suspect the routers limited RAM and hard mem firmware control flags dont allow for collisions and exceed-bandwidth usage from incoming gaming. I also suspect the open access to wireless connection doesnt have anything to do with it either since the dhcp client table never shows any unknown wireless connections.

I have been looking through the event viewer to find clues of which one is : wpad.hsd1.co.comcast.net listed as the DNS in a warning under a DNS Client Event 1014. I found a paper written several years ago concerning DNS manipulation and wpad.xxxanthything generally means an undefined DNS. if you ipconfig/all you can see the dns is correct except for the wpad portion. wpad is never there in that particular way of looking at the DNS. it only shows in the event viewer.

There are 5 affected computers when this happens except nephews two towers.

My first question is can the use of Torrent clients cause this sort of thing. or is it more likely traffic from gaming kicking us off. Ive seen some of his configs in the router and he has his twin towers listed as priority of anything else. We had a discussion about that torrent thing and he seemed to think it was the torrent downloads. However two defenses to that argument are the torrent has never reached more than 2 MB/s dn and 500KB/s up peak and we have a 29MB/s service. Secondly as a precaution all torrents have been stopped and the torrent apps are closed yet we all still get bumped off the router except for his wired connection.

I will now place the log suggested:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3935 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1839 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 294794 MB, Free - 19420 MB;
Motherboard: Sony Corporation, VAIO
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Thank you for your direction and your efforts ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online