Possible Driver Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Aya84

Hello, lately my computer has been acting very strange. Until recently I have never encountered this error but now I get it about once daily. Sometimes I get a blue screen that pops up with an error but never addresses what the exact error is. It mentions that to prevent damage the system must be turned off and near the bottom it mentions dumping physical memory and has something numbers on a separate line and when I send the error report it says it was a driver that caused the error. The only problem is, I hadn't installed any new software/hardware drivers before the problem started occurring, although I did upgrade 3 drivers afterward (Set a system restore point before I did.). Also it mentioned trying to do a system restore to fix the problem and when I tried to do that, the blue screen error came up but with something a little different, I can't remember it exactly but it had a line that looked something like:XXXX_THREAD_FAULT_XXXX, (X's would be for other words that I can't remember.) I could be completely wrong but I do recall it having the word thread in it and I'm pretty sure it had fault in it aswell but not neccessarily in the order I typed it. After sending the error report for that message it again came up that it was a driver that caused the problem. I ran a virus scan using McAfee and all that came up was 1 PUP which I got rid of and I did a panda scan and it said I had several spyware in my cookie's so I deleted them.

If this is in the wrong place than I am truly sorry, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

you can use system restore to put your system files and regisrty back the way it was before the problem started. this process will also reverse any recently installed or uninstalled programs, but it will often fix errors like that.

you did something to make this happen of a sudden. did you add/remove any hardware components? did you install/uninstall any software components?

to view the actual error message you need to stop windows from automatically restarting the computer. to do this...

1. go into your system properties control panel
2. click the "advanced" tab
3. click the "settings" button under "startup and recovery"
4. uncheck the box marked "automatically restart" under "system failure"
5. click OK, click OK again

now the next time it crashes, it won't restart until you tell it to. this will allow you to read the full error message and the associated system file that is causing the error.

Aya84

I can't use system restore, when I try to near the end of the progress bar, it freezes and then I get the blue screen. The problem happens out of nowhere, the first time it happened, I was just browsing online with no other programs open.

try to boot into safe mode by holding down the F8 key while your PC boots up, hopefully then you can access system restore without it crashing

Aya84

I'm going to try doing a restore in safe mode tonight when I get home and hopefully that will work. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Aya84

I was able to do a system restore and so far I have not encountered the problem however, this may be unrelated but I didn't want to make a new thread and seem like I might be spamming, since the restore everytime I try to go into the My Videos folder in My Documents, it shows the video files and as soon as I click anything it will go blank and say searching for files. After that it will freeze on me, I need to go into the task manager and end the task, in task manager I notice that EXPLORER.EXE is making my CPU Usage go up to 100% and it is also the program that freezing when I try to access My Videos folder. Might you have any idea why this would happen?

Aya84

The error happened again just now. It was the same message about dumping memory and had the line:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I then rebooted and logged in and got this error message:

Also here is a picture of what happens when I try to access My Videos

Aya84

I have some new/more detailed information about my problem but I can't edit my post so I'm going to put it here. If you believe I should start a new thread then please let me know and I shall do that.

Hello, lately my computer has been acting very strange. Until recently I have never encountered these errors but now I get them a little too often for comfort. Sometimes I get a blue screen that pops up with an error but never addresses what the exact error is. It mentions that to prevent damage the system must be turned off and near the bottom it mentions dumping physical memory and has something numbers on a separate line and when I send the error report it says it was a driver that caused the error. The only problem is, I hadn't installed any new software/hardware drivers before the problem started occurring, although I did upgrade 3 drivers afterward (Set a system restore point before I did.). Also it mentioned trying to do a system restore to fix the problem and when I tried to do that, the blue screen error came up near the end of the restore but with something a little different, I can't remember it exactly but it had a line that looked something like: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. After rebooting I got this error:

(I also happen to get this message sometimes when I close Winamp.)

After sending the error report for that message it again came up that it was a driver that caused the problem. I think that it possibly might be a Java error because it only happens when I use Azureus (I've yet to get the error after stopping all Azureus use.) which is Java based after I upgraded to JRE Update 7. I tried to uninstall it completely but I can't get Update 6 off my computer, when I try I get this error:

Also I keep getting a new error that started today that was a little pop up with something about Windows, it didn't say it wasn't legit or anything but it had a lot of nonsense lettering like if it was random, here is a picture:

It's just letters lower and upper case, not spelling anything out. (My Windows is legitimate by the way.) I did not click "Submit Report" and I noticed it happened when I clicked into a certain folder, that I was downloading from utorrent (To be honest I can't remember if it was open when the error came up when utorrent was running, I think it was but I honestly don't remember.) so I immediately deleted the folder realizing something is not right with the it. It wouldn't even let me close the folder, as long as it was open the message kept poping up no matter how many times I closed so I had to be quick about closing the folder and as soon as I did that, the error message stopped poping up and hasn't come up since. After this happened I uninstalled utorrent from my system and deleted all associated folders/files in the program directory.

This may not be related to what is going on with my computer but I had a virtual drive on my computer with Alchol 120% and when I upgraded versions, the virtual drive became recognized as a physical drive (Making it useless.) by Windows. I'm just mentioning it because it might have something to do with 1 of the errors but if not then just ignore it unless you know how to get rid of it anyway.

The last error I get is everytime I try to go into the My Videos folder in My Documents, it shows the video files and as soon as I click anything it will go blank and say searching for files. After that it will freeze on me, I need to go into the task manager and end the task, and says it is an error with EXPLORER.EXE and in task manager I notice that EXPLORER.EXE is making my CPU Usage go up to 100% and it is also the program that is freezing when I try to access My Videos folder. I noticed as of last night when I go to turn off my computer, it does somewhat of a shutdown but not fully, it will act as if it is going to give me the options menu to shut down, reboot, etc but instead goes back to desktop but closes all folders and most of the tray icons I have, leaving only Virus Scan and other active at the moment programs (The same thing when I try to go into My Videos.), this also gave an EXPLORER.EXE error once of the 3 times it has happened but I am sure it is EXPLORER.EXE because the same thing happens when I access My Videos.

I ran a virus scan using McAfee and all that came up was 1 PUP which I got rid of, I did an online scan with Norton and I did a Panda scan and it said I had several spyware in my cookie's so I deleted them.

Here is my HJT Log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:07:27 PM, on 7/24/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaantmon.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ideazon\Zboard Software\Driver\ZboardTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaanotif.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Ideazon\Zboard Software\Driver\Zboard.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIADA.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PASSWO~1\tlpd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\ObituaryBirthday\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/chsi.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.valvesoftware.com/projects.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
O1 - Hosts: 127.255.255.255 serial.alcohol-soft.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.255.255.255 www.alcohol-soft.com
O1 - Hosts: 127.255.255.255 images.alcohol-soft.com
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaanotif.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDET.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIADA.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX4800 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX4800"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Password Door Loader] C:\PROGRA~1\PASSWO~1\tlpd.exe /boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CloneCDTray] "C:\Program Files\SlySoft\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,90/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FE89055-5300-469E-AFAD-DEB3181EDE76} (PearsonAsstX Control) - http://www.mathxl.com/applets/PearsonInstallAsst.cab
O16 - DPF: {5F0C30E4-1E72-4DCC-85E5-57810F1CA97B} (McUpdatePortalFactory Class) - http://www.amiuptodate.com/vsc/bin/1,0,0,9/McUpdatePortal.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1104952507375
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {78AEEDE8-7345-4FB5-A8FE-4BFF16EF25FC} (McAfee Virtual Technician Control Class) - http://us-download.mcafee.com/products/protected/mvt/mvt.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/1,0,0,26/mcgdmgr.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{A073B2A5-B140-497A-A984-1036B71A4EF8}: NameServer = 68.87.64.146,68.87.75.194
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Zboard - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Winlognotif.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: IAA Event Monitor (IAANTMon) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Application Accelerator\iaantmon.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: StarWind iSCSI Service (StarWindService) - Rocket Division Software - C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120\StarWind\StarWindService.exe

If this is better suited in the Security forum, let me know and I'll post it there instead and delete this thread if that's possible.

If anyone can help me (Or even point me in the direction of someone or place that can.) I'd be more than grateful, I've been to 2 different forums, and no one has replied to either as of yet.

Your system may be infected with malware. Some of these can disable your installed antivirus or anti-spyware applications. If I were you, I would take out the hard disk drive, put it into another PC (I'll call it PC2 in this message), and run a thorough scan for viruses and spyware from there. (I think you'll have to have admin rights on PC2, otherwise you probably won't be able to access some folders.) Before this, it's worth making sure that in PC2 the settings of the Recycle Bin is different for each drive.

Other suggestions:
Test your RAM with ramtest.
Check your hard disk state with HDD regenerator trial.
http://www.dposoft.net/

Some questions:
Do you have a firewall installed?
You don't, by any chance, happen to use TWO antivirus applications, right?

Aya84

I'm pretty sure the HDD is fine, I was using a program called HDD Sentinel and it said the health was 100% and I defrag on a weekly basis.

I do have a firewall installed and I am using a router too, I do NOT have two antivirus programs on this PC either.

I'll try the RAM test tonight.

Well... You may have 2 or more concurrent problems. I don't know. But here's what I'd do in your place.

1.) I would get a File Manager application like TotalCommander or something, and check if it behaves the same way in the "My Videos" folder. If yes, then the problem might be a more general one, filesystem or something, not neccessarily related to explorer.exe. If not, then explorer.exe might be the real culprit in this case.

2.) I would suspect one of the running processes to be the cause. (Looking at your task manager picture, I'm pretty shaken to see 52 running processes. Normally, my home XP runs 22 processes after startup.) The question is, which one. A possible brute force way of answering is to disable these processes one by one, and see if the error still occurs. (As I understand, you can reproduce some of these error messages if needed. That's good.)

There is a superb freeware called "Autoruns" by SysInternals.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
It shows you all the processes that are automatically run at system startup, and gives you power to disable them at wish. So, if you have no better things to do, start killing not critical processes, like Alcohol, DVDAudio, Java, etc. one by one, and check if the error is still present. You may eventually find something, or at least narrow the group of potential culprits.

Aya84

I let a RAM test (Called MemTest.) run for about 7 or so hours through the night up to 1294.9% and not 1 error came up.

I'm not sure why I have a lot of pocesses running, I have a few for McAfee, couple tray icons, and there are like 7 SVCHOST.EXE's (Which I've always thought was strange but it's been running several like that for as long as I can remember .) but I don't know what the program does, also that program gave me a memory error on boot up just now like the one I have in the first picture.

I just downloaded TotalCommander and was able to get into My Videos without any problem what so ever, I was even able to delete a file and play one.

Now for Autoruns, all I would need to do is go into the "Logon" tab and uncheck things or should I end the process in Task Manager? I feel better asking because I don't want to mess something up.

Your success with TotalCommander indicates that at least one root of the problem is with explorer.exe. I say, let's stop worrying about other processes for the time being, and concentrate on explorer. We can return to harassing svchost.exe's and co. anytime, if we don't get results.

By the way, svchost.exe is a "general host process for windows services". If you look up the running services (Start/Programs/Administrative tools/Services -- at least I think that's the path, because my XP is not English), and doubleclick them, you will see that many of them is implemented in svchost.exe. I guess several services can use a single svchost process simultaneously, and perhaps some services need their own separate instance of svchost.exe. My knowledge is limited in this field, but if you want to decrease the number of running services (because some of them are resource hogs, others are absolutely useless if your PC is not part of a Network, still others pose security risks -- this latter applies very strongly for Universal Plug and Play Support), here is a guide for you

http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

As for Autoruns, it doesn't kill processes in task manager, more like it disables them so they won't be started at next system startup. At least this is the theory. In the past I've run across some spyware, which had a resident process in memory. I wasn't able to kill that process via task manager, couldn't delete the file associated with it, and when I tried to disable its autostarting by Autoruns.exe, the resident process always changed the settins back, so that it would be started again at system startup. :)

Now, as for explorer.exe ...
I was thinking about a way to repair explorer and came up with the idea of reinstalling some windows components, like Service Pack 2, or Internet explorer 6 SPx (I don't know which service pack is current, because I always use Firefox). I strongly suspect that reinstalling XP SP2 will repair Windows Explorer.

Warning: this is my best guess, mind you. I'm not sure if this idea is totally harmless. You should make a system backup at least, before trying.

Aya84

Thanks for all your help I can't tell you how grateful I am because you are so far the only person to keep replying to me in my time of need but I'm not too sure I want to risk messing around installing XP again and potentially damaging anything. I may try reinstalling IE although like you I use Firefox as my internet browser, if worse came to it, I could use TotalCommander or another file manager to get into that one folder, I'm actually more worried about that 1 error message popping up and getting Java off my system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online