1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible DVD Drive error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 325isbimmer, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 325isbimmer

325isbimmer Thread Starter

On my Laptop I had done a fresh install of XP Pro over a month ago and had to reload all my programs. Everything went without a hitch until I went to install Autodesk Inventor 10 which was previously loaded and i kept getting install errors. I went through a bunch of steps including uninstalling/installing Microsoft WSE runtime and the .NET framework with no success. Just different errors. Eventually I was pointed to the the fact that the CD drive may be malfunctioning and not able to read the CD properly. I eventually just put the disk in my Desktop and shared the drive so I could run it from there. This worked.

So by this you would think there is something wrong with my CD/DVD drive. I checked for driver and firmware updates and everything checks out. How do I go about testing to see if in fact my disk drive is on its way out.

Thanks,
    Andre

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A 10 second search on Google suggests that some drive makes do have problems with the copy protection on that exact program disk, so it does not necessarily mean the drive is on its way out.

3. 325isbimmer

325isbimmer Thread Starter

I've been searching google all day about the error codes that I kept receiving. They pointed at possible drive problems but didn't relate it specifically for that program. I'll search again.

Although it doesn't explain as to why I was able to install it without any problems before the format?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

True, that bothers me as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice