1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Possible e-mail/AV software conflict

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Rumpel, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumpel

Rumpel Thread Starter

It seems that I have an intermittent conflict between Eudora 7.1.0.9 and my internet security package, Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security 2007. I'd like to know whether there are any setting or configuration changes that I can make that will reduce or eliminate that conflict.

It does not happen often -- maybe every month or so -- but I'd prefer it didn't happen at all. When it does happen, I can still send mail, but any attempt to check mail results in the error message Error reading from network. Cause: connection closed by foreign host. (0) The progress bar does appear, but no progress is indicated. For a short interval after the error message appears, TM PC-cillin continues to display it's "inspecting incoming e-mail" flag.

Nothing has presented itself as a possible trigger for this behaviour. It just happens without warning.

I see it as a conflict between Eudora and TM PC-cillin because the only way I have found to clear the conflict is to shut down TM PC-cillin entirely, download any incoming e-mail that is on my POP server, then restart my system. Disabling TM PC-cillin does not suffice.

The last time it happened, the incoming e-mail was all from known reliable sources whose communications were expected. Nevertheless, I deleted the first three messages in the POP server queue, as well as all e-mail that included attachments that had a potential for a hostile payload, and tried again. This did not clear the problem.

Needless to say, I am not happy about downloading e-mail without active anti-virus protection in place.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice